• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not eating

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
So recently my beardie hasn't been eating anything. This has been going over for a couple weeks but he was at least eating a few pieces of kale or a few waxworms every week. right now he is not eating anything and appears to be more lethargic. I was wondering if it had something to do with him being off schedule this past month. I have been busy with work and family and I haven't been as consistent when it comes to waking up and feeding times. Is there a way to snap him back into schedule so he feels the urge to eat again. His basking set up and UVB or all good and he is in a 120 gallon tank. could it also be an "addiction" to waxworms I read that they can be dangerous if fed a lot. I dont really use that that much but once he stopped eating his supers, I had to get him something.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So recently my beardie hasn't been eating anything. This has been going over for a couple weeks but he was at least eating a few pieces of kale or a few waxworms every week. right now he is not eating anything and appears to be more lethargic. I was wondering if it had something to do with him being off schedule this past month. I have been busy with work and family and I haven't been as consistent when it comes to waking up and feeding times. Is there a way to snap him back into schedule so he feels the urge to eat again. His basking set up and UVB or all good and he is in a 120 gallon tank. could it also be an "addiction" to waxworms I read that they can be dangerous if fed a lot. I dont really use that that much but once he stopped eating his supers, I had to get him something.
Please tell me what lighting your using ---- UVB coil or a tube? where is it in the tank and how old is the bulb? Basking surface temps are taken w/ what? IR gun? stick ons? or a digital probe thermometer? are there any colored bulbs in the tank? Wax worms fed too many can cause liver damage they are very fatty --- what is his diet?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Please tell me what lighting your using ---- UVB coil or a tube? where is it in the tank and how old is the bulb? Basking surface temps are taken w/ what? IR gun? stick ons? or a digital probe thermometer? are there any colored bulbs in the tank? Wax worms fed too many can cause liver damage they are very fatty --- what is his diet?
I use a tube, 12% 24w Arcadia and for his heat lamp I use a 100W intense basking spot. It still has a good 6 months on it and it’s in the middle of his 120 GL. I think he’s ok for lighting but his diet is not good. He is by far the pickiest bearded dragon I have ever met. Usually he eat supers, wax worms and silks worms with kale and other greens. He refuses to eat Dubia or BSFL. Right now he eats nothing!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I use a tube, 12% 24w Arcadia and for his heat lamp I use a 100W intense basking spot. It still has a good 6 months on it and it’s in the middle of his 120 GL. I think he’s ok for lighting but his diet is not good. He is by far the pickiest bearded dragon I have ever met. Usually he eat supers, wax worms and silks worms with kale and other greens. He refuses to eat Dubia or BSFL. Right now he eats nothing!
Is he loosing weight? His lighting is good -- do you have the UVB in the tank and is it directly over his basking decor 12-15 inches?

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Is he loosing weight? His lighting is good -- do you have the UVB in the tank and is it directly over his basking decor 12-15 inches?
I’m not sure if he is losing weight becuase he has always been smaller but he recently has been sneezing which I have never seen before. Could this be related to humidity? Or would that not Cuase him to not eat. I am booking a vet appointment soon

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I’m not sure if he is losing weight becuase he has always been smaller but he recently has been sneezing which I have never seen before. Could this be related to humidity? Or would that not Cuase him to not eat. I am booking a vet appointment soon
What is the humidity in the tank and are you using a digital probe hygrometer? Please get a kitchen food scale weigh in grams and keep track- if he's sneezing he could be coming down w/ a RI- watch for mucus it of the nose and mouth - clicking noises heavy breathing

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
What is the humidity in the tank and are you using a digital probe hygrometer? Please get a kitchen food scale weigh in grams and keep track- if he's sneezing he could be coming down w/ a RI- watch for mucus it of the nose and mouth - clicking noises heavy breathing
His humidity is quite high right now at 51%. Oh god I hope it’s not a RI I know it can be dangerous if not caught early on. Thank you for the help I will track his weight!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His humidity is quite high right now at 51%. Oh god I hope it’s not a RI I know it can be dangerous if not caught early on. Thank you for the help I will track his weight!
Your humidity is fine- optimal is 40-50% you don't want under 20% or over 70% too low will cause RI also improper uvb

Latest posts