• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie not eating veggies...

Dissident

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I just acquired a 2 year old Beardie. I have had him for about 4 days now. He his big and fat and appears very healthy.

The problem is he is not eating any of his veggies that I put in with him every morning. He will eat supers, crickets, and roaches just fine, but pays no attention to his veggies.

I put the veggies in first thing in the morning and do not feed him insects until evening time. Last night I did not give him any insects, but he still will not touch his veggies this morning.

Any ideas?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If he's in good body condition then I would suggest with holding bugs for a few days until your dragon eats the salad. I got my dragon to take her salad by mixing mustard greens, collards, strawberries, and mangos. She also loves butternut squash and pumpkin. beautifuldragons.com has a great food chart of what beardies can eat and how often they should have it.

Dissident

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I tried putting some worms in the salad to see if that would help. No go. Not only is he not eating veggies now but he also not eating insects. 2 days with nothing. He has also become very sedentary today and is not basking. 2 years old and October - brumation maybe? I'm at a loss

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Relocation stress would be my guess..
Give that dragon some more time to acclimate.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Janie that relocation stress may be a factor. If he is eating his bugs just fine, I question if the previous owners ever offered him salad? A 2 year old should be eating salad as his main staple. And bugs about 3 times per week.

I'd wait about a month, let him feel comfy in his new home. And then try Corrine's suggestion of holding bugs for a bit.

You can also experiment with different salad mixes. Butternut squash has been known to help on a salad strike. Peppers are another choice to offer with the greens. Try collard greens, mustard greens, broccoli leaves, parsley...

Latest posts