• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie is constantly running around, glass surfing, scratching, diving, and anything you can think of.

Scout

Hatchling Dragon
Since day one, my beardie has always been calm. He always was chill, calm, and collective. Recently however, he has not been sitting still for even a second. He won't stop running back and forth, scratching up the walls, and glass surfing. He digs in his box angrily and everything! He comes up to the glass because he wants to come out, but when I do, he viciously starts scratching and scrambling to jump back in. The only change I've made to his enclosure recently was adding a different thermometer. This one has a black wire that goes over the enclosure, (and it's visible due to it's white inside)and it's held up by black tape. I've tried everything to calm him down, but he just continues. Every few hours of doing it however he does go up onto his bridge and relax. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (He's actually pretty chill rn, he's sitting on me now lol) OH I forgot to add. He also has been trouble eating. He eats only like 1 worm, then starts running around. And he won't eat his greens period. Because of his lack of eating, I also feed him as many worms as I can since it seems to be the only thing he eats before he starts running around. Before this whole running around thing started he was having trouble eating as well. He would want to eat it, but then suck in his stomach and back away. Eventually he would get scared and run away. Still slightly better despite this whole situation.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Since day one, my beardie has always been calm. He always was chill, calm, and collective. Recently however, he has not been sitting still for even a second. He won't stop running back and forth, scratching up the walls, and glass surfing. He digs in his box angrily and everything! He comes up to the glass because he wants to come out, but when I do, he viciously starts scratching and scrambling to jump back in. The only change I've made to his enclosure recently was adding a different thermometer. This one has a black wire that goes over the enclosure, (and it's visible due to it's white inside)and it's held up by black tape. I've tried everything to calm him down, but he just continues. Every few hours of doing it however he does go up onto his bridge and relax. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (He's actually pretty chill rn, he's sitting on me now lol) OH I forgot to add. He also has been trouble eating. He eats only like 1 worm, then starts running around. And he won't eat his greens period. Because of his lack of eating, I also feed him as many worms as I can since it seems to be the only thing he eats before he starts running around. Before this whole running around thing started he was having trouble eating as well. He would want to eat it, but then suck in his stomach and back away. Eventually he would get scared and run away. Still slightly better despite this whole situation.
Please go over the lighting in the tank --- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube ? What are basking temps and how are you taking them ? NO stick ons-- any colored bulbs? We need to rule out the lighting and temps first ---- how big is the tank?

Scout

Hatchling Dragon
UVB lighting: zoo med
basking temps: 87-91
like i said i just got a new temperature gauge that more accurately shows them (and there's a big cord over his head so that might contribute to his stressed out behavior)
no colored bulbs
and i built it, so its 4x2x2
and his regular diet when hes eating normally consists of as much mustard greens as he will eat and 2-3 super worms
also i think he is around 11-12 months old

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
like i said i just got a new temperature gauge that more accurately shows them (and there's a big cord over his head so that might contribute to his stressed out behavior)
no colored bulbs
and his regular diet when hes eating normally consists of as much mustard greens as he will eat and 2-3 super worms

That is all the basic husbandry requirements. Any questions just ask.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no colored bulbs
UVB is a coil or a tube ? Where in the tank is the UVB? this is crucial
Basking temps are not high enough they should be 95-110-- a gradient heat is best then they can pick the spot they want to sit and bask -- and I would get him on staple insect super worms are for treats only not a staple-- I recommend dubia roaches or silk worms

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Basking temps are not high enough they should be 95-110-- a gradient heat is best then they can pick the spot they want to sit and bask -- and I would get him on staple insect super worms are for treats only not a staple-- I recommend dubia roaches or silk worms
Is it true a adult bearded can eat any size insect? I know babies and juveniles can only eat bugs the size of in between their eyes.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it true a adult bearded can eat any size insect? I know babies and juveniles can only eat bugs the size of in between their eyes.
I guess it depends on how large the insect it is --- dubias get around 1 1/4 and adults seem to handle them ok

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I guess it depends on how large the insect it is --- dubias get around 1 1/4 and adults seem to handle them ok
Yeah i got some dubia roaches not even thinking about the size, turned out to be a bit larger than a quarter! He crunched them down but he never ate very many so I assume they were just a tad too big for him lol

Scout

Hatchling Dragon
UVB appears to be a tube, it is slightly on the left but mostly centered. For the temp I thought 85-110 is okay- every source I've looked at usually says that. And dubias are illegal where I live. Are crickets okay?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UVB appears to be a tube, it is slightly on the left but mostly centered. For the temp I thought 85-110 is okay- every source I've looked at usually says that. And dubias are illegal where I live. Are crickets okay?
You need basking temps of 95-110 they need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons-- crickets are fine are you in Fl? Please look on the tube and tell me what it is brand and bulb please -- how old is the UVB and where is it in the tank ? EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
Hi Scout, there will be two elongated swellings on either side, at the base of his tail. They are his concealed hemipenes. Males are somewhat broader across the jaw and have a somewhat more prominent beard.
Also he will Bob his head rapidly and stamp his front claws repeatedly on occasion.
Females are more sombre and lower and raise their head slowly and make slow hand waves.
Juvenile Dragons seem to act like Females until they become pubescent.

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
I'm still trying to get used to the Dragons posts so apologies if my comments are not relevant to the post I am responding to.....
If your Dragons glass surfing he is wanting to come out and play. My Dragons will do that frequently, but calm down after a trip outside in the sun or sitting together on the porch where I can keep an eye on him when he goes for a run. Makes use you watch him tho. Once I lost Ely for 31 days in late Autumn. I found him hiding out in ta hollow log....thought that he had became my dogs breakfast!

Heather R Barrett

Bearded Dragon Egg
no colored bulbs
When is the last time he had a bowel movement? I always keep baby food jars of Pumpkin and prunes in the house at all time. If he hasn't gone give him some pumpkin and soak him in a warm bath. Also are you offering a variety of foods to his diet?

Heather R Barrett

Bearded Dragon Egg
When is the last time he had a bowel movement? I always keep baby food jars of Pumpkin and prunes in the house at all time. If he hasn't gone give him some pumpkin and soak him in a warm bath. Also are you offering a variety of foods to his diet?
Beardies feel threatened when something or somebody comes at them over head. I would try and move that cord may make a difference.

Scout

Hatchling Dragon
You need basking temps of 95-110 they need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons-- crickets are fine are you in Fl? Please look on the tube and tell me what it is brand and bulb please -- how old is the UVB and where is it in the tank ? EXTREMELY IMPORTANT
like i said i have new thermometer that more accurately displays it. and yes i'm in FL. and the bulb is zoo med. i believe it is 3-4 months old. it is also in the middle but slightly offset to the left.

Scout

Hatchling Dragon
OH! And I would like to mention that today I have figured out he only does it when I'm in the room. All day he sits on his bridge until I walk in. Then he jumps off and starts running aroun.d

Scout

Hatchling Dragon
A while ago he used to have bathroom problems, often not going for weeks at a time. Prune juice was a staple for him. Now however, he goes almost every other day.

Latest posts