• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie has little lump in his mouth. Vet is clueless.

kaiyla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My 7 year old dragon, SeaHorn, developed a hard, little bump on the left side of his jaw. I pulled down his gum-line, and saw a fleshy bump (kind of looks like the top of a cauliflower) in his mouth, on his gums. I took him to the vet but he did not now what it was though. Said it could be an injury of sort, something viral, or a tumor -benign or malignant He said that he could cut it off, and send it to the lab for biopsy results. My dragon was freaking out with the vet holding him down. I felt so bad of him. I did not want to put SeaHorn through any unnecessary pain, so I opted for the path of least resistance first -a round of antibiotics. I am currently unemployed and am terrified these bills could push me more into financial ruin. Unfortunately though, the vet did not seem enthusiastic or hopeful about the antibiotics. However SeaHorn has a healthy appetite, is of a healthy weight, and is active. Perhaps if any of the above were poor, I would have opted to biopsy. I don't know if I made the right decision though. The vet said I could take him back if I change my mind and decide to biopsy it.

I have been watching SeaHorn closely and the "plaque" hasn't grown/shrunk since last week. I just wish I knew what this thing was. Is it mouth rot? I have enclosed pictures. Any input is so greatly appreciated.

My bearded dragon's set-up's:
40 gallon aquariums
Zoo Med 10.0 fluorescent bulbs, changed every 6 months
95 watt bulbs for basking -temps around 96 degrees in basking spot
Paper towels for bottom of the cage.

The following are some pics of the little bump. You can probably see it without me having to point it out, but it is on his left side, on the gum-line, halfway up his jaw.
DSC01117.JPG

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
i dont know what that is... i hope its okay though. what were you feeding him? im thinking it could be like a tooth or something digging through the gum, hopefully it works out fine!

kaiyla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I feed them mixed greens daily, and all the crickets they can eat once a week. I have four adult beardies.

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
are any of them housed together? it is more likely to have a fight between both of them for domination.. perhaps one of them could've bit him in the mouth?

if not... to me it looks like just beside the lump there is a bit of blood... perhaps a tumor, or just a missplaced tooth? im no doctor but to me in looks like somethings in the lump like a tumor or there is a missplaced tooth coming out...

kaiyla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he is not housed with any other beardies. The suggestions of a tumor scare me horribly. I love this little guy so so much. Are tumors typically benign in beardies?

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
sometimes and sometimes not. i've never had a tumor with a dragon before, but beleive me, there is a high possibility its NOT a tumor, hope for the best..

kaiyla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am! I have two beardies I am very concerned about right now. If I could just know they are ok, I'd feel so much better. More than likely, more vet visits ARE in order though, so I can get that security of knowing all is ok.

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
its probaly OK... i would do a biopsy... i know about the money issues they do, but just to be safe. it is your decision really..

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
looks like an abscess. if so the antibiotics should make the lump decrease in size. i hope all is well. keep us updated.

kaiyla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I will definitely keep you guys updated. The vet said he did not "think" it was an abscess, but like I said, I've never felt that this guy really knows his stuff when it comes to reps, you know? So I am open to considering everything, and thankful for anyone's input.
SeaHorn is on day 5 of 14 of the Baytril antibiotic. When he is done with this round, if the lump stays the same or if it increases, I am taking him in in for a biopsy.

Eric sachranienkow

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
well, in gooder news... my lily just ate her dish of veggies for the first time at 8 weeks!

on topic... i hope he gets better and if you dooo happen to do a biopsy test, try not to worry, it will probably come out as just a bump.. youknow? :p

hopes on the beardie kaiyla!

kaiyla

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks, and congrats on Lily, Eric! It's so exciting when we're pulling for them and something good happens.

Melissap

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Kaiyla, I wonder how everything turned out with Seahorn? My beardie has a lump that looks a lot like Seahorn's. The vet says its a tumor and it has to be removed surgically. Im really worried about the surgery and want to make sure it is a tumor before going through with it. Hope you can get back to me.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hi Kaiyla, I wonder how everything turned out with Seahorn? My beardie has a lump that looks a lot like Seahorn's. The vet says its a tumor and it has to be removed surgically. Im really worried about the surgery and want to make sure it is a tumor before going through with it. Hope you can get back to me.
This is a real old post, not sure if they are even a member anymore.

Latest posts