• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beardie aggression? Sickness?

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
How is he doing now? Did you get the temps straightened out ? And the probes?

I have, the temps range around 110° F, though the humidity is quite stressful to deal with. It reads around 17-20% occasionally. I do believe that's the reasoning to all of this.

I've been spraying more often, but the humidity drops quickly with how much ventilation there is at the top of the tank. Should I consider a new substrate ? I use paper towels. I tried moving the water bowl, but it's a bit big, and I don't have room to put it near the heating.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have, the temps range around 110° F, though the humidity is quite stressful to deal with. It reads around 17-20% occasionally. I do believe that's the reasoning to all of this.

I've been spraying more often, but the humidity drops quickly with how much ventilation there is at the top of the tank. Should I consider a new substrate ? I use paper towels. I tried moving the water bowl, but it's a bit big, and I don't have room to put it near the heating.
Are you getting the humidity now w/ a digital probe -- 17-20% is not bad - thats during the day correct? What is it at night? It should go higher- you can get a humidifier and set next to the tank -- its possible he was already sick w/ this when you got him - you can try setting a wet dish cloth in the tank and keep it wet and see how much it brings the humidity up - as far as substrate you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank - clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 and wipe down w/ a wet dish rag afterwards -

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Are you getting the humidity now w/ a digital probe -- 17-20% is not bad - thats during the day correct? What is it at night? It should go higher- you can get a humidifier and set next to the tank -- its possible he was already sick w/ this when you got him - you can try setting a wet dish cloth in the tank and keep it wet and see how much it brings the humidity up - as far as substrate you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank - clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 and wipe down w/ a wet dish rag afterwards -

Yep, it's with a digital probe. It's currently day time. At night yesterday, I sprayed the tank and it stayed steadily at around 27% until the morning.

I'll try placing a wet cloth inside to see if that'll help raise it slightly, and I'll look into a humidifier. Does it have to be a specific one ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, it's with a digital probe. It's currently day time. At night yesterday, I sprayed the tank and it stayed steadily at around 27% until the morning.

I'll try placing a wet cloth inside to see if that'll help raise it slightly, and I'll look into a humidifier. Does it have to be a specific one ?
No I got a small one sitting beside my tank - its a warm mist I think but I dont think it matters - its a Pore from Walmart -- get a bigger tank on it mine is small - I wont need it during summer its pretty humid where I live in the summer time its the winter that is when its needed -- especially when we go below zero - my tank is running around 24% now --

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
No I got a small one sitting beside my tank - its a warm mist I think but I dont think it matters - its a Pore from Walmart -- get a bigger tank on it mine is small - I wont need it during summer its pretty humid where I live in the summer time its the winter that is when its needed -- especially when we go below zero - my tank is running around 24% now --

Oh okay, thank you ! I put the wet cloth in the tank on a log hide, the humidity is staying on 26%. Should that be good?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh okay, thank you ! I put the wet cloth in the tank on a log hide, the humidity is staying on 26%. Should that be good?
Yes 26% is good --- you dont want it below 10% I try to keep mine around 20% during the day --

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Yes 26% is good --- you dont want it below 10% I try to keep mine around 20% during the day --

Alright, thanks for all the help.
I'll manage it above 20% the best I can, and I keep an eye on my beardie's behavior today.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back from one of the people I reached out to and this is what she has said
It does look like an R.I. Is the baby still eating ? A good retile vet may help with antibiotics but try to be sure they are qualified. I know it's sad when the little guys get sick, I hope for the best outcome !
Please look at the website I posted for you for the reptile vet -- see if you can find one on there

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
I heard back from one of the people I reached out to and this is what she has said
It does look like an R.I. Is the baby still eating ? A good retile vet may help with antibiotics but try to be sure they are qualified. I know it's sad when the little guys get sick, I hope for the best outcome !
Please look at the website I posted for you for the reptile vet -- see if you can find one on there

Thanks for the input. He is still eating. I'll try the find a vet to take him tomorrow.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the input. He is still eating. I'll try the find a vet to take him tomorrow.
Let me know how it goes -- NO ENEMAS- if they want a fecal take one in w/ you- 24 hr sample

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I agree, it does look like a respiratory issue. He is very young, so, he should have a good immune system.
You did get the heating/temperatures straightened out now? Is he basking for a good portion of the day?
At the moment, I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity in the case he is developing a respiratory
infection.
As suggested, no enemas. At his age, it would most likely kill him. Be careful about the vet overmedicating
him also.
Do you have a ceramic heat emitter you can use, or just the heatpad? If you do use the heating pad, you
can place it inside of the tank. Be sure to set it on low, & cover it with a towel so it doesn't get too hot for
him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I heard back from the person I reached out to about the jungle dawn --- this is what he has said
Since they don't emit much heat I think it just comes down to the best visibility and reaching any plants that are growing rather than a specific distance. Should be fine at the top of most enclosures. It's important to also include a UVB and heat source.
Please get a regular UVB this is a good reason he is sick and wont get better w/ out it I am posting a link for a UVB that you can use on the 20 gallon tank use the bulb that comes w/ it - 5.0 it will need to be unobstructed NO screen and have the distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece
24" this will go into a bigger tank later w/ a different Reptisun bulb your gonna want the 10.0 T 5 bulb

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
I heard back from the person I reached out to about the jungle dawn --- this is what he has said
Since they don't emit much heat I think it just comes down to the best visibility and reaching any plants that are growing rather than a specific distance. Should be fine at the top of most enclosures. It's important to also include a UVB and heat source.
Please get a regular UVB this is a good reason he is sick and wont get better w/ out it I am posting a link for a UVB that you can use on the 20 gallon tank use the bulb that comes w/ it - 5.0 it will need to be unobstructed NO screen and have the distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece
24" this will go into a bigger tank later w/ a different Reptisun bulb your gonna want the 10.0 T 5 bulb

So does the jungle dawn not emit uvb ?

And does the reptisun hood come with a bulb ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So does the jungle dawn not emit uvb ?

And does the reptisun hood come with a bulb ?
the jungle dawn is for plants --- you need a regular UVB--- and the link I posted has the fixture and the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it --- you need that UVB -- how is the little one doing? Tracie posted did you read her post?

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
the jungle dawn is for plants --- you need a regular UVB--- and the link I posted has the fixture and the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it --- you need that UVB -- how is the little one doing? Tracie posted did you read her post?

Oh, okay, I'll buy it. I read her post, I'll respond now.

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I agree, it does look like a respiratory issue. He is very young, so, he should have a good immune system.
You did get the heating/temperatures straightened out now? Is he basking for a good portion of the day?
At the moment, I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity in the case he is developing a respiratory
infection.
As suggested, no enemas. At his age, it would most likely kill him. Be careful about the vet overmedicating
him also.
Do you have a ceramic heat emitter you can use, or just the heatpad? If you do use the heating pad, you
can place it inside of the tank. Be sure to set it on low, & cover it with a towel so it doesn't get too hot for
him.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

I can't take him to the vet today with how busy I am, but an appointment has been scheduled for tomorrow. He's been basking a lot. I don't have a ceramic heating emitter and the only heating pad I have is for the outside of the tank and under it. Which I can't put under the tank as it sits on a wooden dresser. I haven't been home yet to check on him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't take him to the vet today with how busy I am, but an appointment has been scheduled for tomorrow. He's been basking a lot. I don't have a ceramic heating emitter and the only heating pad I have is for the outside of the tank and under it. Which I can't put under the tank as it sits on a wooden dresser. I haven't been home yet to check on him.
Update on the dragon please

Benbenz

Hatchling Dragon
Update on the dragon please
Sorry, I forgot !

Took him to the vet, they thought he might possibly have mouth rot along with a respiratory infection. It was either that or one of the other. They weighed him and checked his heart, and said he was overall healthy. They prescribed some medicine for him that I'll be giving him when I get home. I'm sure he's going to be making a good recovery. He already is starting to seem a lot better. I bought a ceramic heat emitter for the tank yesterday and will set it up for tonight.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry, I forgot !

Took him to the vet, they thought he might possibly have mouth rot along with a respiratory infection. It was either that or one of the other. They weighed him and checked his heart, and said he was overall healthy. They prescribed some medicine for him that I'll be giving him when I get home. I'm sure he's going to be making a good recovery. He already is starting to seem a lot better. I bought a ceramic heat emitter for the tank yesterday and will set it up for tonight.
Good please post a pic of his mouth I will have someone take a look and Tracie as well- what meds did they give and for what? Did they say anything about treating the mouth rot or what exactly are they treating? What about the uvb? Did you get one

Latest posts