• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon suddenly weak and having a hard time moving ? :(

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon very suddenly seems to have started losing strength, on and off. Some days he’s almost at 100% and walking well, just not jumping up on things like he used to; other days he can barely drag himself to where he wants to get to. He went in for a general check-up in November, as well as I asked the vet about an unknown white, fishy smelling discharge coming from his vent that dries chalky. The vet basically told me, “Weird. I don’t know what that is. He’s otherwise in good health.” He was originally rehomed to me from someone not keeping him in the best conditions, and came with a pinworm infection. I brought him to the vet a ton at that time, and the vet told me that they’re hard to get completely clear. He’s always had loose/bad quality poops since I’ve had him, no matter how much I tried to fix it. Other than the poop quality though, he was very active and healthy. I’ve had him for 2 years, and he had regular check-ups, always coming up with a clean bill of health (“Besides the bathroom thing.”) We just tried giving him a round of pinworm treatment to see if that would combat this, but it doesn’t seem to have changed anything. I haven’t changed anything in my routine except that I stopped giving him the multivitamin he used to get, because my can expired. I’ve since reordered, but I genuinely don’t think that’s the problem; I just want to be as detailed as possible here because my vet is not very helpful. I’m looking into a new one. But are there any ideas as to what this might be that I can look into? Any response very much appreciated.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My bearded dragon very suddenly seems to have started losing strength, on and off. Some days he’s almost at 100% and walking well, just not jumping up on things like he used to; other days he can barely drag himself to where he wants to get to. He went in for a general check-up in November, as well as I asked the vet about an unknown white, fishy smelling discharge coming from his vent that dries chalky. The vet basically told me, “Weird. I don’t know what that is. He’s otherwise in good health.” He was originally rehomed to me from someone not keeping him in the best conditions, and came with a pinworm infection. I brought him to the vet a ton at that time, and the vet told me that they’re hard to get completely clear. He’s always had loose/bad quality poops since I’ve had him, no matter how much I tried to fix it. Other than the poop quality though, he was very active and healthy. I’ve had him for 2 years, and he had regular check-ups, always coming up with a clean bill of health (“Besides the bathroom thing.”) We just tried giving him a round of pinworm treatment to see if that would combat this, but it doesn’t seem to have changed anything. I haven’t changed anything in my routine except that I stopped giving him the multivitamin he used to get, because my can expired. I’ve since reordered, but I genuinely don’t think that’s the problem; I just want to be as detailed as possible here because my vet is not very helpful. I’m looking into a new one. But are there any ideas as to what this might be that I can look into? Any response very much appreciated.
Go over the UVB your using and your basking temps--- those two things are the most important thing in the tank-- was a fecal test done before giving meds ?
Here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
Go over the UVB your using and your basking temps--- those two things are the most important thing in the tank-- was a fecal test done before giving meds ?
Here is a website to find a reptile vet www.arav.org
I bought a new UVB flourescent (reptisun T5HO 10.00) even though I had just replaced it 2 months prior, thinking it might be faulty. I also started giving him bugs one more day a week so that he gets more calcium (he wont take the powder on vegetables). My general vegetable diet is geared towards high calcium intake too. His basking temp is usually kept at around 100 degrees(F) and cool side around 85.
And yes he had a fecal test done.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I bought a new UVB flourescent (reptisun T5HO 10.00) even though I had just replaced it 2 months prior, thinking it might be faulty. I also started giving him bugs one more day a week so that he gets more calcium (he wont take the powder on vegetables). My general vegetable diet is geared towards high calcium intake too. His basking temp is usually kept at around 100 degrees(F) and cool side around 85.
And yes he had a fecal test done.
Where is the UVB? Top of tank or inside? The screen on the tank is it a fine mesh or wide hole? This makes a difference

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where is the UVB? Top of tank or inside? The screen on the tank is it a fine mesh or wide hole? This makes a difference
Inside the tank, along the back wall. He used to climb up on top of his rock background and sit underneath it (he actually used to jump up; I had to put up a ladder so he wouldn’t hurt himself trying to jump back down)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Inside the tank, along the back wall. He used to climb up on top of his rock background and sit underneath it (he actually used to jump up; I had to put up a ladder so he wouldn’t hurt himself trying to jump back down)
It needs to be directly over the basking decor approx 12-15 inches-- no back wall - if he was climbing up to it he was not getting enough

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It needs to be directly over the basking decor approx 12-15 inches-- no back wall - if he was climbing up to it he was not getting enough
Is there a reflector--?

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s within 12-15 inches of his basking spot. The UVB definitely reaches him when he’s basking. I’ve had the same setup for 2 years with him and never has there been a problem like this before. This is very sudden. I also thought the signs looked like MBD and tried everything to remedy it that I could think of, but there’s no visible improvement as of yet.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No there’s not a reflector. Should I look into getting one?
Yes that is why he was climbing up.to the light-- those rays are going everywhere but to him - I recommend you get a 24" hood a Zoo Med and the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 the hood comes w/.a 5.0 bulb hang onto it for a backup go here and order www.pangeareptiles.com this place sells out quick but they are very good and fast look under fixtures and T 5 lights

Skynub

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes that is why he was climbing up.to the light-- those rays are going everywhere but to him - I recommend you get a 24" hood a Zoo Med and the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 the hood comes w/.a 5.0 bulb hang onto it for a backup go here and order www.pangeareptiles.com this place sells out quick but they are very good and fast look under fixtures and T 5 lights
Ok I will do exactly that thank you

Latest posts