• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

casdrag0n

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I'm new to bearded dragons and have only had one for a month. I have a juvenile bearded dragon named Cas. He's in his tank much of the day before I get home around four pm and I've noticed he seems stressed in his tank. He has dark stress marks and sometimes glass surfs but I don't know why. He has a log hide and basking rock area with a hammock as well as some other bowls and decor like a fake aloe plant. The temperature in his basking spot is around 95 to 110 F usually and the cooler areas range from 80 to 90 F.

Whenever I take him out and hold him or let him explore a little his stress marks almost immediately disappear to where they're barely visible. I mist him and give him baths to hydrate him because he won't drink out of a water bowl. His diet consists of mainly crickets, collard greens, carrots, cucumber, dry food, and zucchini dusted in a multivitamin or calcium. He's growing pretty well and grew more than half an inch over the last month I've had him and he's VERY active. I take him out in a bathtub with a towel down to get his wiggles out but when I put him back in his tank it's back to stressed dragon. Attached are some pictures of him and the enclosure. Please let me know if there is anything I'm doing that is causing him to be stressed in his tank, I'm very worried about him.

cas' tank.jpg
cas in tank.jpg
cas in hand.jpg
cas on plush.jpg

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Perhaps the temperatures? Analog thermometers are not very accurate, so it could be too hot or too cold. I suggest digital/probe thermometers. What is the environment in the room like? It seems you're using and aquarium, sometimes that stresses them out because it opens from the top and they might think there's a bird above them

casdrag0n

Bearded Dragon Egg
Perhaps the temperatures? Analog thermometers are not very accurate, so it could be too hot or too cold. I suggest digital/probe thermometers. What is the environment in the room like? It seems you're using and aquarium, sometimes that stresses them out because it opens from the top and they might think there's a bird above them
Aah okay, thank you so much! It’s around 70 F in the room and it’s often pretty dark because of where I’m located. Would keeping a light on be better? Also I’ll look into getting a digital thermometer, thank you so much for the help!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Digital thermometers are a MUST for accurate basking temps-- UVB is crucial NO coils that can cause stress marks -- you want cool side of the tank 80's and basking temps 95-100 for a juvie -- I would get 2 digital thermometers -- you need a long tube fixture like a 24" Zoo Med or Sunblaster Nano or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ either a Repstisun 10.0 T 5 for a 18 " high tank or a Arcadia 12% bulb -- NO lights on at nite dragons like it cool and dark 65-75 temps --- you can use the stick on for that -- I would look into getting a Zoo Med digital probe hygrometer --- place the probe on the back center wall it will read the whole tank -- optimal humidity 30-50% nothing under 20 and nothing over 70% --
you can look here for a UVB www.pangeareptiles.com

Vic and Mars

Juvenile Dragon
Aah okay, thank you so much! It’s around 70 F in the room and it’s often pretty dark because of where I’m located. Would keeping a light on be better? Also I’ll look into getting a digital thermometer, thank you so much for the help!!
Ceiling fans also stress them out as well. And reflections

Latest posts