• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon started with eye problems and is now getting even more sick?? Please help.

beardeddragon99

Bearded Dragon Egg
To start, I'm kind of a newbie with bearded dragons. I thought I was doing a good job with her, but I don't think I am anymore and I feel terrible. We've had her for almost two and a half years and no problems up until now.

I noticed a few days ago that her eyes were crusty and decided to see if she could work it out herself while I did some research before panicking. Eventually her eyes became swollen and goopy and she couldn't open them well. From the googling I did, I found I could gently wipe her eyes to try and get rid of it. This would help, but only for a little bit and then they would get bad again. I've been doing this for a few days now. I heard it could be the lighting/heating causing irritation, so we've tried different methods of trying to fix the problem. I don't think it's working well though. Then we thought maybe she is dehydrated, so we gave her a bath and she even drank some water. After this she was able to open her eyes and much like herself (energetic and friendly). I just checked up on her and now she has a jet black beard and I can see her visibly breathing (ot sure if being able to see her breathe is normal or not, but I never noticed it before). She also keeps leaving behind these very, very tiny poops and nearly only the urate, but she hasn't eaten much since this all started.

A picture of her is below.

We use a ceramic heating bulb at night, but turn it off during the day. I have included a photo of both of the other heating/lighting we use.

I'm very worried, if you have any suggestions or ideas please respond. I don't know what to do and getting her to the vet may be difficult.

Attachments

• beard.jpg
    beard.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • exoterra basking.jpg
    exoterra basking.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • exoterra UVB.jpg
    exoterra UVB.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Those compact UVB bulbs aren't great fir beardies - are you able to get a long tube one and fixture to replace that? Reptisun t5HO hood and 10.0 bulb (bought separate - the hood comes with a 5.0, which isn't strong enough) is the usual recommended one in the US, and the equivalent (or better) Arcadia ones in the UK.
If you can manage a vet visit, you really should, to find out what the actual problem is with her eyes, and the correct treatment for it.
If you can get some hornworms or silkworms, they're good for hydration (and most dragons love them), and for now, try some raw unfiltered/unpasteurized honey diluted in warm water to wipe her eyes with *but be sure no crickets or other (potentially biting) insects are in her tank* after that.

Latest posts