• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon showing signs of mouth rot, says the vet.

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
They told me to get him a stronger heat lamp, I changed it from an 80w to a 100w, and got him Nekton reptile multi vitamin to feed to him three days a week. I need to know what else I can do, I feel like what they've recommended is not enough. any advice would be helpful. how can I help my beardie? he is almost four years old.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They told me to get him a stronger heat lamp, I changed it from an 80w to a 100w, and got him Nekton reptile multi vitamin to feed to him three days a week. I need to know what else I can do, I feel like what they've recommended is not enough. any advice would be helpful. how can I help my beardie? he is almost four years old.
You need a digital probe thermometer to tell you the wattage you need for a heat lamp - you want surface basking temps of 95-100 ---- you want a clear solid bright white basking bulb - it will be trial and error w/ wattage--- next you want a good UVB NO coils --- I can post links for good UVB's please ask - next please post a pic of the inside of the dragons mouth --- we need the vet tech on here to look at it and she can advise as far as what to do - I can also get some more help but please post a pic of his mouth and the inside of it

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need a digital probe thermometer to tell you the wattage you need for a heat lamp - you want surface basking temps of 95-100 ---- you want a clear solid bright white basking bulb - it will be trial and error w/ wattage--- next you want a good UVB NO coils --- I can post links for good UVB's please ask - next please post a pic of the inside of the dragons mouth --- we need the vet tech on here to look at it and she can advise as far as what to do - I can also get some more help but please post a pic of his mouth and the inside of it
I tested his basking spot and with the new bulb his basking area is 101 degrees, I will try to get a popsicle stick in his mouth and try and take a photo. im getting him Arcadia t5's for his new tank but right now there is https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-repti...LrQGeHJbXsP2g71jbrpR2CQbnrMJPI0RoCxnMQAvD_BwE this usb bulb in his tank. ill be posting the photos I can get of his mouth in a few minutes, should I just repost them on this post?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I tested his basking spot and with the new bulb his basking area is 101 degrees, I will try to get a popsicle stick in his mouth and try and take a photo. im getting him Arcadia t5's for his new tank but right now there is https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptisun-100-uvb-compact/dp/126583?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=18806583589&utm_content=Zoo Med&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwg-GjBhBnEiwAMUvNW8j7Ec01NgevHkmXqEdemdLrQGeHJbXsP2g71jbrpR2CQbnrMJPI0RoCxnMQAvD_BwE this usb bulb in his tank. ill be posting the photos I can get of his mouth in a few minutes, should I just repost them on this post?
Yes post them on this post and please get rid of the coil - shut it off - make sure your getting the 12% bulb for the Arcadia - then ease post a pic of your screen from above so I can help you place it for your tank

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes post them on this post and please get rid of the coil - shut it off - make sure your getting the 12% bulb for the Arcadia - then ease post a pic of your screen from above so I can help you place it for your tank
I dont have the bulb for his new tank yet, what should I do for now while I wait for the t5's to ship, and yeah I am getting the 48" 12% bulb, and its going to be hung in the tank. however thats probably going to come in about a week (the shipping hasn't updated so im not sure yet.) like I asked what can I do for now? should I buy a hood uvb or something. the vet says its so miniscule. also apologies for the photos, dude was not happy with the popsicle stick

Attachments

• IMG_2159.jpeg
    IMG_2159.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2162.jpeg
    IMG_2162.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2161.jpeg
    IMG_2161.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2163.jpeg
    IMG_2163.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 18

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
also how do I make sure the vet sees this post

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
also how do I make sure the vet sees this post
I am going to flag her to the post --- do you have a Pet Smart ? If you do you can go there and look and get the 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 24 watt 12% bulb - they are carrying them if not then take him outside for some good UVB have him sit on you however long you can stand the heat -- 15 minutes in the sun will do him good til the UVB comes or you get it --
@Drache613

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am going to flag her to the post --- do you have a Pet Smart ? If you do you can go there and look and get the 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 24 watt 12% bulb - they are carrying them if not then take him outside for some good UVB have him sit on you however long you can stand the heat -- 15 minutes in the sun will do him good til the UVB comes or you get it --
@Drache613
I have a petsmart however I dont think they have the bulbs or the light fixture for the t5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a petsmart however I dont think they have the bulbs or the light fixture for the t5
Either go look or call them -- a 24" fixture is good for a 40 + gallon tank --- you dont want the whole length of the tank the dragon needs to be able to sit in the tank w/ out hiding from the UVB

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
Either go look or call them -- a 24" fixture is good for a 40 + gallon tank --- you dont want the whole length of the tank the dragon needs to be able to sit in the tank w/ out hiding from the UVB
he is in a 40 gal, it is 36 in long, so id need around an 18" one?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he is in a 40 gal, it is 36 in long, so id need around an 18" one?
No 24"-- your gonna want to eventually upgrade that tank to a 120 gallon- I have links for tanks if you'd like them

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
No 24"-- your gonna want to eventually upgrade that tank to a 120 gallon- I have links for tanks if you'd like them
I already have a 8 foot animal plastics tank for him, I just ordered all the things for said tank (halogen bulbs, 48" t5s, a thermostat etc) they just need to ship

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I already have a 8 foot animal plastics tank for him, I just ordered all the things for said tank (halogen bulbs, 48" t5s, a thermostat etc) they just need to ship
Make sure you have 2 digital probe thermometers to get actual surface basking temps- ok so the 48" will be good for a 8 foot tank - please let me know how you like it -- how tall is the tank?

nisemu

Bearded Dragon Egg
Make sure you have 2 digital probe thermometers to get actual surface basking temps- ok so the 48" will be good for a 8 foot tank - please let me know how you like it -- how tall is the tank?
The tank is 2 feet tall, can you link the best digital probe thermometer because I do not know which to pick. Also did you flare the vet?

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Sorry your boy is having trouble. Did the vet give any type of medication or oral meds for the mouth?
I am not sure that is mouth rot but it looks like there could be some type of irritation going on.
Is he eating anything right now?
For any infection, it is crucial to keep them at optimal temperatures for basking to help boost the immune
system. What thermometer have you gotten now, to help measure the temperatures?

Tracie

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Any updates for us? I hope things are going better.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Latest posts