• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Not Using The Bathroom

Jacobroadrunner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, my name is Jacob and I'm a newbie so please don't murder me if I don't post this correctly. I have a 5-year-old Beardie that is a little about the healthy weight but that under management. But all of a sudden he stopped pooping, no change of diet or environment. So I read put him in a warm bath and he'll go, and he did. I assumed that he was fine and now the only way he will go is if he's "convinced" too in the bath. I haven't found any articles on this exact subject if anyone has any advice. Any feedback is appriciated :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, my name is Jacob and I'm a newbie so please don't murder me if I don't post this correctly. I have a 5-year-old Beardie that is a little about the healthy weight but that under management. But all of a sudden he stopped pooping, no change of diet or environment. So I read put him in a warm bath and he'll go, and he did. I assumed that he was fine and now the only way he will go is if he's "convinced" too in the bath. I haven't found any articles on this exact subject if anyone has any advice. Any feedback is appriciated :)
Please go over the basking temps and UVB -- they are key among other issues --- how are you taking the basking temps NO stick ons -- UVB brand and bulb please and where in the tank is the UVB? How old is the UVB? NO coils please -- once we get that figured out if this is the issue or cause --- in the mean time feed her canned pumpkin unsweetened applesauce or baby prunes they are natural laxatives make sure the dragon is hydrated that will help ---feed the laxatives till he poops

Jacobroadrunner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please go over the basking temps and UVB -- they are key among other issues --- how are you taking the basking temps NO stick ons -- UVB brand and bulb please and where in the tank is the UVB? How old is the UVB? NO coils please -- once we get that figured out if this is the issue or cause --- in the mean time feed her canned pumpkin unsweetened applesauce or baby prunes they are natural laxatives make sure the dragon is hydrated that will help ---feed the laxatives till he poops
Thanks for the pointers, I think my UVB bulb is pretty bad so I'm going to buy a new one of those. What power should I use for the UVB also? I put the bulb on the same unit as his basking bulb in the back left (36 x 18 x 18 tank) Now that I read his bulbs too I think 75w may be under powered as it does not seem to get very hot there, I have a thermal gun though so I'll check. And thank you for the pointers on the laxatives too.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the pointers, I think my UVB bulb is pretty bad so I'm going to buy a new one of those. What power should I use for the UVB also? I put the bulb on the same unit as his basking bulb in the back left (36 x 18 x 18 tank) Now that I read his bulbs too I think 75w may be under powered as it does not seem to get very hot there, I have a thermal gun though so I'll check. And thank you for the pointers on the laxatives too.
What are you using for a UVB? Same unit as basking bulb ? That tells me a coil? If so you need to.get rid of it ASAP-- you need a long tube fixture 24" - like a zoo med this comes w/ a Reptisun 10.0 5.0 bulb you need a Reptisun 10.0 T 5--- look on Amazon my go to places are out of stock - I recommend you get this NOW the coil is NO good! When you get this replaced please let me know so I can help you-- they have certain placement and distance -- your basking temps should be 95-100 for a adult/ juvie dragon

Jacobroadrunner

Bearded Dragon Egg
Current Update:
1. The heat was not up to par, so I increased the wattage of the bulb and he has a nice very hot basking spot around 97 degrees
2. Yes I had a coil UVB bulb, my bad I didn't know, he is now suited with an 18" tube 10.0 UVB bulb (his light fixture ended up already had a spot for one)
3. I tried feeding the laxative foods and he didn't really wanna eat them.
4. He still hasn't pooped and the only way he will is if I put him in a warm bath still, but I have my hopes up.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Current Update:
1. The heat was not up to par, so I increased the wattage of the bulb and he has a nice very hot basking spot around 97 degrees
2. Yes I had a coil UVB bulb, my bad I didn't know, he is now suited with an 18" tube 10.0 UVB bulb (his light fixture ended up already had a spot for one)
4. He still hasn't pooped and the only way he will is if I put him in a warm bath still, but I have my hopes up.
Make sure your UVB fixture has the cover off you want the bulb exposed it needs to be in the tank approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Current Update:
Some beardies are only conditioned to poop in the bath, some say its a great thing (cause they can get them to poop on command) others say its not to good (cause they’re holding their stool) in my opinion its a good thing, keeps the enclosure cleaner , if theres no change in his pooping schedule and he’s getting veggies, calcium, and proper lighting, i dont think its an issue, where the problem would be is if you had to not bathe him for a week and he’s holding all that in, in the past ive given my beardie water melon to help her poo, iceberg lettuce can be given aswell (but it has no nutritional value dont feed it regularly) i wish my beardie would poop on command.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank You to everyone for the pointers and help
Good basking temps and good UVB along w/ diet will keep him pooping- along w/ hydration -- he needs to stay hydrated that would be his salads being rinsed before serving- rinse his greens