• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon not looking good!

james d

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just switched my beardie to a 75 gallon enclosure and upgraded his lights. He has a screen top with a zoo med dual dome in it, with a repti halogen 150 watt and a reptisun 10.0 fluorescent coil bulb. it sits above him about a foot above the dragon on the basking side. But since i have found him hanging on the cool side, trying to get through the glass, the thermometer says it is only getting around 90? Any help would be appreciated so much. Worried about him.

Aerries

Hatchling Dragon
Basking temps are too low, and uvb should be a tube bulb for the length of the tank, coils do nothing because it’s limited location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james d

Bearded Dragon Egg
Basking temps are too low, and uvb should be a tube bulb for the length of the tank, coils do nothing because it’s limited location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but wouldnt a 150 watt get it warmer than that?

james d

Bearded Dragon Egg
i put another lamp above with a 100 watt repti halogen above his basking along with the 150 watt one and uvb bulb, and the temp guage says 95 where he is now, but still "pancaking" like he wants to warm up more. It has been cold here lately but wouldnt both basking bulbs going get it warmer in a 75 gallon enclosure than that???

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
i put another lamp above with a 100 watt repti halogen above his basking along with the 150 watt one and uvb bulb, and the temp guage says 95 where he is now, but still "pancaking" like he wants to warm up more. It has been cold here lately but wouldnt both basking bulbs going get it warmer in a 75 gallon enclosure than that???
Is it a male?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
And do you have any other dragons?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
At the bottom of my comment there is a link for general bearded dragon care and lighting etc. Check it out if you haven't already.

You really need a fluorescent tube UVB light that covers at least 2/3'rds of the tank. Because the tank is so big, you might need two UVB bulbs. When housing a bearded dragon we don't go by gallon size, it's irrelevant what is important is the length/width/height. I don't know the dimensions of a 75g but if your 150w bulb isn't creating a basking spot that is warm enough then most likely your tank is too high and you'll need to raise your basking area up to reach it. What are you using to measure your temps? If you are using an analog gauge that is attached to the side of your tank, you are not getting accurate readings on your temperatures. You should have either 2 digital probe thermometers or an infrared temp gun.

james d

Bearded Dragon Egg
using a digital probe. Gave him a bath last night and he perked right up, was hopping around but a bit lathargic today again. Could it be brumation?

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Unfortunately with the temp gradient you are going to need to do some trial and error. Everytime I get a new tank or upgrade a critter it's a matter of testing the different wattages. Right now for my 40 gallon tank I have a 100 watt and a 75 watt basking bulb, which is working out perfect.

I have a 75 gallon terrarium with a tortoise in it, so I am familiar with the size. Those tanks are just so large it takes more to heat them. For my tort I use a CHE, which is a possibility for your beardie but you would still want a basking light so that may be more effort than it is worth. You will just have to experiment with the different bulbs and see what works out- the chain pet stores will let you return the bulb if it's not heating enough.

Also I agree with the need.for a tube style UVB. Your talking about roughly 4 foot x 1.5 foot space, and one small UVB emitting bulb is not going to cut it for that large area.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
using a digital probe. Gave him a bath last night and he perked right up, was hopping around but a bit lathargic today again. Could it be brumation?

Are you putting the probe right in the the basking spot or just on the warm side? I don't think it's brumation. If the temps aren't warm enough, it's going to make him sluggish.

james d

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have it on his log where he would be basking and it says . So if i am hitting these temps, why would he be avoiding the basking spot? Staying on the complete opposite side of the tank? He has been sleeping a lot there, and he is about three and did the same thing last year.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
A 3 year old can and will brumate. It's possible that is what your guy is doing but I would really get him vetted and make sure nothing else is wrong before you let him go into brumation. Lot's of illnesses mimic brumation and since he has been under a coil bulb which doesn't provide enough UVB, anything could be going on with him.

james d

Bearded Dragon Egg
i had him under a mvb and just recently switched him to a flurescent coil bulb a few days ago and he was still doing this

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i had him under a mvb and just recently switched him to a flurescent coil bulb a few days ago and he was still doing this
The MVB is much better than a coil bulb as those have been known to cause eye damage..

Latest posts