• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon health concern

Austinthedragonwhisperer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Before I start going in depth in this post I want to say that I understand most of these signs point towards brumation but I am still worried nonetheless as my bearded dragon is only about 10 months old. About 4 days ago my bearded dragon began to stop basking and decided to shove herself into some thick artificial plants that are on the cold side of my terrarium. She decided to stay there for about 2 days. Minimal movement and keeping her eyes open for the most part (Resting but not sleeping during the day) before this happened I noticed for a few days she would consistently start digging the sand under her warm hide (before anyone says “You shouldn’t have loose substrate” my dragon is bowl fed and is not in a situation for impaction, I monitor that heavily when feeding) This led me in the direction of a possible brumation but the first question I have is, Why would she go through all that trouble to dig one side out and then go and sleep on the complete opposite? Never seen her wedge this far into the foliage. As I stated before this persisted for 2 days then about 7 pm my time she decided to come out and eat some food I left out for her then walked over and basked for about 20 minutes before going back to the same spot. Today I noticed she was back in the corner awake but not too responsive so I decided to grab her and check around her body for anything odd or out of the ordinary. Besides her being pretty cold I couldn’t find any noticeable issues besides the fact she is more light grey (She shed her head and toes but not the rest of her body about 10 days ago). In attempt to warm her up a little I put her under the basking lamp and for about 10 minutes or so she perked up on her hind legs and started basking. After the 10 minutes she sprinted back into the corner and is now shoved back into the same place. I’m at such a loss of what to do because if this is something serious I don’t want her to die but if it’s just brumation I can’t afford the vet bills and stuff just for a false alarm. ( I’d gladly pay whatever I needed to save her life but $500 for them to say she is just going through brumation would cause me some financial hardship) I noticed small poops over the past few days before this all started and no poop since she ate yesterday. Is this common behavior for a semi-brumation, should I wait and see or should I seek medical attention?

Tank temps
70 degrees cold side
93 degree warm side
It has been getting very cold outside recently so overall degrees in the tank have dropped 5 degrees on both sides recently

I’ll attach the file of her hiding but you can see her eyes are open but not wide awake

Attachments

• 186A9714-F6CB-43AC-B3BE-052EF5DE9834.jpeg
    186A9714-F6CB-43AC-B3BE-052EF5DE9834.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Before I start going in depth in this post I want to say that I understand most of these signs point towards brumation but I am still worried nonetheless as my bearded dragon is only about 10 months old. About 4 days ago my bearded dragon began to stop basking and decided to shove herself into some thick artificial plants that are on the cold side of my terrarium. She decided to stay there for about 2 days. Minimal movement and keeping her eyes open for the most part (Resting but not sleeping during the day) before this happened I noticed for a few days she would consistently start digging the sand under her warm hide (before anyone says “You shouldn’t have loose substrate” my dragon is bowl fed and is not in a situation for impaction, I monitor that heavily when feeding) This led me in the direction of a possible brumation but the first question I have is, Why would she go through all that trouble to dig one side out and then go and sleep on the complete opposite? Never seen her wedge this far into the foliage. As I stated before this persisted for 2 days then about 7 pm my time she decided to come out and eat some food I left out for her then walked over and basked for about 20 minutes before going back to the same spot. Today I noticed she was back in the corner awake but not too responsive so I decided to grab her and check around her body for anything odd or out of the ordinary. Besides her being pretty cold I couldn’t find any noticeable issues besides the fact she is more light grey (She shed her head and toes but not the rest of her body about 10 days ago). In attempt to warm her up a little I put her under the basking lamp and for about 10 minutes or so she perked up on her hind legs and started basking. After the 10 minutes she sprinted back into the corner and is now shoved back into the same place. I’m at such a loss of what to do because if this is something serious I don’t want her to die but if it’s just brumation I can’t afford the vet bills and stuff just for a false alarm. ( I’d gladly pay whatever I needed to save her life but $500 for them to say she is just going through brumation would cause me some financial hardship) I noticed small poops over the past few days before this all started and no poop since she ate yesterday. Is this common behavior for a semi-brumation, should I wait and see or should I seek medical attention?

Tank temps
70 degrees cold side
93 degree warm side
It has been getting very cold outside recently so overall degrees in the tank have dropped 5 degrees on both sides recently

I’ll attach the file of her hiding but you can see her eyes are open but not wide awake
Please get her cold side up to 80's during the day - 70 is a good nite time temp- basking surface temps should be 95-100-- taken w/a digital probe thermometer - colder days make them more lazy and eat less -- she is in a slow down period but I am thinking its because her temps are too low in the tank -- work on those -- what are you using for a UVB ? coil or a tube please and where in the tank is it? Also make sure your using a clear bright white basking bulb please NO off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs

Austinthedragonwhisperer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get her cold side up to 80's during the day - 70 is a good nite time temp- basking surface temps should be 95-100-- taken w/a digital probe thermometer - colder days make them more lazy and eat less -- she is in a slow down period but I am thinking its because her temps are too low in the tank -- work on those -- what are you using for a UVB ? coil or a tube please and where in the tank is it? Also make sure your using a clear bright white basking bulb please NO off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs
You advised me a while back. Got her the hood light you mentioned a few months ago. Don’t remember the exact name but it (Was exactly what you recommended) . For basking lamps I have 2 in the tank to increase temps and provide two spots to bask. If my temperatures are not an issue (Which they shouldn’t be now as I have increased the temp of the tank before I posted this to 100 warm/ 77 cold) if things do not change in the next few days should I give it more time or be concerned? And is the digging normal? That’s the biggest thing pointing toward the direction of her first brumation. I just hard for me to believe a sickly beardie would go through all that effort and not lay in the hole so that’s what is just really throwing me off.

150 watt main 8-10 inches away
50 watt for elevated basking 5 inches away

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You advised me a while back. Got her the hood light you mentioned a few months ago. Don’t remember the exact name but it (Was exactly what you recommended) . For basking lamps I have 2 in the tank to increase temps and provide two spots to bask. If my temperatures are not an issue (Which they shouldn’t be now as I have increased the temp of the tank before I posted this to 100 warm/ 77 cold) if things do not change in the next few days should I give it more time or be concerned? And is the digging normal? That’s the biggest thing pointing toward the direction of her first brumation. I just hard for me to believe a sickly beardie would go through all that effort and not lay in the hole so that’s what is just really throwing me off.

150 watt main 8-10 inches away
50 watt for elevated basking 5 inches away
She's pretty young for eggs- have you felt her abdomen for eggs? Digging is a normal thing- males do it to make a comfy spot for sleeping females do it for both- keep an eye on her she may lay infertile eggs- I would increase the cool side to 80- see if she comes out - the thrive bulb is that a clear bright white bulb? Ok so I am the who helped you set your uvb up? Can I ask is it a Zoo Med fixture ?

Austinthedragonwhisperer

Bearded Dragon Egg
She's pretty young for eggs- have you felt her abdomen for eggs? Digging is a normal thing- males do it to make a comfy spot for sleeping females do it for both- keep an eye on her she may lay infertile eggs- I would increase the cool side to 80- see if she comes out - the thrive bulb is that a clear bright white bulb? Ok so I am the who helped you set your uvb up? Can I ask is it a Zoo Med fixture

Tank temps
70 degrees cold side
93 degree warm side

Zoomed fixture 22’ with a reptisun bulb T10 I believe. But since warming the tank it seems like she got some more energy to come out don’t know how long this is going to last but it’s always I good sign to see a little activity I guess. Maybe I spoke too soon but at least I know for a fact it isn’t impaction

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Zoomed fixture 22’ with a reptisun bulb T10 I believe. But since warming the tank it seems like she got some more energy to come out don’t know how long this is going to last but it’s always I good sign to see a little activity I guess. Maybe I spoke too soon but at least I know for a fact it isn’t impaction
Poop looks good moist formed and dark-- how old is your uvb bulb? She looks good- just watch her behavior the next couple of days w/ her temps increased see what she does-

Austinthedragonwhisperer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Poop looks good moist formed and dark-- how old is your uvb bulb? She looks good- just watch her behavior the next couple of days w/ her temps increased see what she does-
Uvb bulb is like 2.5 months old. Hood is the same age. She ate a little then went back into hiding again. I felt all around her for eggs and I just can’t feel anything that would resemble them. Now I saw the poop I feel like she is just being lazy. Still gonna monitor everything but sorry if I wasted your time Sadie.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Uvb bulb is like 2.5 months old. Hood is the same age. She ate a little then went back into hiding again. I felt all around her for eggs and I just can’t feel anything that would resemble them. Now I saw the poop I feel like she is just being lazy. Still gonna monitor everything but sorry if I wasted your time Sadie.
No it's not time wasted - it's better to be proactive -- she sounds like she's just being lazy - she knows when she needs her lighting- some are more lazy this time of year and some are really active and driving some owners crazy w/ the spring fever thing going-

Latest posts