• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon full of air?

Lith

Bearded Dragon Egg
My bearded dragon is nearly a year old. For some reason in the past few weeks, he has begun to fill with air so much that his body is round and bloated. It looks similar to how bearded dragons will inflate to remain buoyant in water, but this happens out of water. In fact, he adores water.
So far it has been happening once a day, and his beard will be puffed out completely as well. When I see it happen, I’ll hold him. After a while, he deflates through the mouth.

I have no idea what is causing this. Hes never done this before. A difference I can think of is we switched the tank recently.
Should I go to a vet? Is this normal? Is this the tank’s fault? Would factors like humidity affect him? I am so worried (lol)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My bearded dragon is nearly a year old. For some reason in the past few weeks, he has begun to fill with air so much that his body is round and bloated. It looks similar to how bearded dragons will inflate to remain buoyant in water, but this happens out of water. In fact, he adores water.
So far it has been happening once a day, and his beard will be puffed out completely as well. When I see it happen, I’ll hold him. After a while, he deflates through the mouth.

I have no idea what is causing this. Hes never done this before. A difference I can think of is we switched the tank recently.
Should I go to a vet? Is this normal? Is this the tank’s fault? Would factors like humidity affect him? I am so worried (lol)
My dragon Blaze did the same thing here a few days ago - took me by surprise I turned his lights on and he was bloated -- I picked him up and he seemed to deflate - then a day later he took the biggest poop I had ever seen - I am asking another person about this see what she says --- his tank would not of caused this or humidity -- I will get back w/ you

Lith

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just an update bc now he is developing very small patches of discolored black scales. It's the color of a blackbeard except it stays black, and there's a large patch on his beard about 3 or so scales long and it looks like he may be developing more. Is this scale rot?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just an update bc now he is developing very small patches of discolored black scales. It's the color of a blackbeard except it stays black, and there's a large patch on his beard about 3 or so scales long and it looks like he may be developing more. Is this scale rot?
Post a pic of it please

Lith

Bearded Dragon Egg

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 24

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No, they can get dark lines in the beard at times. Are you sure it's not bug guts or something else stuck there ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, we gave him a bath and it did not come off.
Ok watch it -- it may be some shed --- if it starts to get bigger or grow then a vet would need to take a look -- but I am leaning more towards shed - watch what it does

Latest posts