• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon fall

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
After I fed my dragon, there was a lot of calcium powder on his floor so I took him and the paper bag I use as substrate outside so I can dust it off. I had him on my shoulder and he decided to jump off! I’m 5’8” and he jumped from my shoulder. He jumped and fell onto concrete but he didn’t stay frozen like some peoples dragons do when they fall as Ive read they do sometimes. He fell and as soon as he hit the floor he ran off. He stopped and I was able to grab him. I moved him around in my hand touching his legs and stomach to see if he reacts to it and he seemed fine. I put him back in his tank and gave him a cricket with a tong and moved it around. He chased it down no problem as he always does (with a lot of energy) and he ate it no problem. He walked around a bit using all fours and so he doesn’t seem injured. But now he’s hiding under his basking log. He usually does this every now and then but now I don’t know if now it has anything to do with the fall and he’s closing his eyes a little bit like he’s falling asleep. I’m just really worried now.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
After I fed my dragon, there was a lot of calcium powder on his floor so I took him and the paper bag I use as substrate outside so I can dust it off. I had him on my shoulder and he decided to jump off! I’m 5’8” and he jumped from my shoulder. He jumped and fell onto concrete but he didn’t stay frozen like some peoples dragons do when they fall as Ive read they do sometimes. He fell and as soon as he hit the floor he ran off. He stopped and I was able to grab him. I moved him around in my hand touching his legs and stomach to see if he reacts to it and he seemed fine. I put him back in his tank and gave him a cricket with a tong and moved it around. He chased it down no problem as he always does (with a lot of energy) and he ate it no problem. He walked around a bit using all fours and so he doesn’t seem injured. But now he’s hiding under his basking log. He usually does this every now and then but now I don’t know if now it has anything to do with the fall and he’s closing his eyes a little bit like he’s falling asleep. I’m just really worried now.
Oh my!! That would have scared me for sure!! Glad that he's not acting too far off however a fall from that height would make me worry about internal damage. They are pretty hardy critters but like any animal a fall is a fall and he likely landed belly side down? He might just be stressed from his fall and it's just sinking in now to him.. I really would recommend a vet check to make sure he didn't cause any internal bleeding.

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
Oh my!! That would have scared me for sure!! Glad that he's not acting too far off however a fall from that height would make me worry about internal damage. They are pretty hardy critters but like any animal a fall is a fall and he likely landed belly side down? He might just be stressed from his fall and it's just sinking in now to him.. I really would recommend a vet check to make sure he didn't cause any internal bleeding.
Yeah I read about internal bleeding and yes he did. He was only under there for a little and now he’s back up basking and he even ate some salad. He seems fine like nothing happened but I’m going to keep an eye on him for sure

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Is he young? The small ones seem much more resilient with regards to taking a tumble. Like children. Keep an eye on him for sure, fingers crossed he is ok! I would have lost my mind if my beardie did that!

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
Is he young? The small ones seem much more resilient with regards to taking a tumble. Like children. Keep an eye on him for sure, fingers crossed he is ok! I would have lost my mind if my beardie did that!
Yeah he’s not full grown he’s about 8-9 inches long

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree they in some ways are more resilient to tumbles but on the other side of this is the younger they are the less fat that provides a cushion they have..

VinceG123

Hatchling Dragon
I agree they in some ways are more resilient to tumbles but on the other side of this is the younger they are the less fat that provides a cushion they have..
Well he hasn’t been acting different at all. He’s eating good and he’s still active. It’s as if nothing’s happened

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I hate when they jump! Keep an eye on him, little ones are pretty resilient like Krissy said. The minute anything seems off or you get a vibe that something is wrong, get him to the vet.

Latest posts