• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded dragon eye question (Photo includ)

Nuggz

Bearded Dragon Egg
ezf3nybucr381.jpg

Hello! I just got my beardy last week and notice when I got home he favored to keep his left eye closed, now he does open it and it looks fine - he also moves around and eats as expected of a beardy I've cleaned up poop a few times since I had him he eats Kale/Carrots, crickets, mealworms so far. His eye has me concerned tho this photo was taken under his basking light.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
View attachment 31001

Hello! I just got my beardy last week and notice when I got home he favored to keep his left eye closed, now he does open it and it looks fine - he also moves around and eats as expected of a beardy I've cleaned up poop a few times since I had him he eats Kale/Carrots, crickets, mealworms so far. His eye has me concerned tho this photo was taken under his basking light.
Yep looks like shed --- please NO meal worms hes too little for them they have a exo skeleton that is too harsh for babies --- get him some BSFL try some medium size DO NOT dust them add them to the tops of his salads they are a great staple feeder www.symtonbsf.com also NO coils for UVB they are not adequate UVB and will cause all kinds of health problems --- if you need links for them please ask I will help w/that along w/ a good basking bulb you want a CLEAR bright white basking bulb NO colored NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that hurts the eyes --- you also need that bulb to keep temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate

Nuggz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yep looks like shed --- please NO meal worms hes too little for them they have a exo skeleton that is too harsh for babies --- get him some BSFL try some medium size DO NOT dust them add them to the tops of his salads they are a great staple feeder www.symtonbsf.com also NO coils for UVB they are not adequate UVB and will cause all kinds of health problems --- if you need links for them please ask I will help w/that along w/ a good basking bulb you want a CLEAR bright white basking bulb NO colored NO daytime bulbs they have a coating on them that hurts the eyes --- you also need that bulb to keep temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate
Hello! Thanks for the reply! I'm currently using a coil UBV bulb right now but I have the following coming I'm going to do a Bioactive set up for him.

UBV bulb
UBV/Basking light fixture
Basking bulb

I also have a probe thermometer coming with the Biodude substrate kit I ordered. I'll stop the mealworms till he gets bigger he can enjoy baby crickets and veggies for now.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello! Thanks for the reply! I'm currently using a coil UBV bulb right now but I have the following coming I'm going to do a Bioactive set up for him.

UBV bulb
UBV/Basking light fixture
Basking bulb

I also have a probe thermometer coming with the Biodude substrate kit I ordered. I'll stop the mealworms till he gets bigger he can enjoy baby crickets and veggies for now.
Ok the light fixture w/ the bulb attached may be a issue -- I have a lot of people getting the temps too hot and they cant move the bulb cuz its attached to it --- just fair warning -- I dont know why Carolina Cages did that--- when getting it see if you can shut that light off and get a separate basking bulb -- if your having problems --- or you can always send it back too --- just a recommendation -- or you can always take that bulb out too --- when you get the fixture please let me know I will help you get it placed in the tank they have certain placement and distance requirements and that will depend on your screen on the tank ---

Nuggz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the light fixture w/ the bulb attached may be a issue -- I have a lot of people getting the temps too hot and they cant move the bulb cuz its attached to it --- just fair warning -- I dont know why Carolina Cages did that--- when getting it see if you can shut that light off and get a separate basking bulb -- if your having problems --- or you can always send it back too --- just a recommendation -- or you can always take that bulb out too --- when you get the fixture please let me know I will help you get it placed in the tank they have certain placement and distance requirements and that will depend on your screen on the tank ---
Ok cool, I have 2 dome fixtures I can still use to run heat basking bulbs. The setup I have him in now is just a 40 gallon once I get all my bioactive items in ill set it up and PM you some images of it for any suggestions I appreciate the help you have given me and offered!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok cool, I have 2 dome fixtures I can still use to run heat basking bulbs. The setup I have him in now is just a 40 gallon once I get all my bioactive items in ill set it up and PM you some images of it for any suggestions I appreciate the help you have given me and offered!
Ok so lets see what happens w/ the temps -- that is the main concern w/ the fixture -- as far as the bulb and everything its a great UVB

Nuggz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so lets see what happens w/ the temps -- that is the main concern w/ the fixture -- as far as the bulb and everything its a great UVB
Sounds great! What would you recommend the temps be for a bioactive setup I will be added the obvious plants and will have to look at the plant's preferred temps to see if they should be on the hot or cool side of the tank.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds great! What would you recommend the temps be for a bioactive setup I will be added the obvious plants and will have to look at the plant's preferred temps to see if they should be on the hot or cool side of the tank.
I am not sure about bioactive tanks -- I need to refer you to Wickedpogona -- she has a bio tank and would better be able to help you PM her ---- and I am not sure how fast she will respond shes not on here a whole lot but you can try doing that or go to the biodudes website --- and try this website for plants scroll to the bottom of the page at the bottom there is a list for plants not sure if those are bio active plants but you can look
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Temps be the same you get plants and micro fauna that will thrive in the same as your beardie will . Make sure your custodians you add will also thrive in the same environment your beardie will etc good plants I recommend is Golem , Elephant feed , aloe Vera , so many plants dandelion etc I mostly use succulents another jade is another favorite some plants may need indirect or direct sunlight it’s all about placement sometimes