• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon diet/food

Kerry Graham

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I've recently acquired a pair of bearded dragons one male and one female, the gentleman I got them from had little knowledge about them. I've read up on internet and talked to different pet shops but am still unsure what I should be feeding them, how often they should be fed as very mixed opinions from sources. The gentleman I got them from only fed them locusts every other day and nothing in-between, I have started feeding them rocket, tomatoes and grated carrot on the opposite days to the locusts and once a week a few meal worms. Any help would be gratefully appreciated on what they can/cant eat how often to feed them etc

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1) How old are they?

2) What's the size of length (snout to tail tip)?

3) What is "rocket" (I'm in the USA so I have no idea lol)?

4) Tomatoes are too acidic.

Kerry Graham

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
they are about 18 months to 2 years old, the male is 18inches and the female 17inches, rocket is a type of salad its a form of lettuce pet shop said tomatoes was ok will not feed that them any more ty xx

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, they need large size crickets. Daily to every other day....No more than about 6 of the large, per beardie.

Superworms (3 per day) are ok to give them. (per beardie)

Once a month, you can give them Hissing Madagascar Cockroaches.

Do not feed basic lettuce! You can give Romaine, though.

Mine loves MUSTARD Greens.

The veggie mix I have is...

Corn, carrots, yellow squash, zucchini, peas, green beans and sweet potatoe.

You can also try them on strawberries, blue berries, red raspberries and bananas.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I've recently acquired a pair of bearded dragons one male and one female, the gentleman I got them from had little knowledge about them. I've read up on internet and talked to different pet shops but am still unsure what I should be feeding them, how often they should be fed as very mixed opinions from sources. The gentleman I got them from only fed them locusts every other day and nothing in-between, I have started feeding them rocket, tomatoes and grated carrot on the opposite days to the locusts and once a week a few meal worms. Any help would be gratefully appreciated on what they can/cant eat how often to feed them etc

Hi & Welcome to the forum Kerry. The first piece of advice I would give you would be to house them seperately as with a male & female the male will eventually pester the female constantly to mate, if he isnt doing it already.
They should be getting a variety of greens on a daily basis, such as the rocket, mustard greens, mine love the herb/italian/french salad mix you get from asda/tesco. Carrot & tomato are not really the best for daily feeding. They should get crickets/locusts everyday dusted with calcium 5 days a week and vitamin suppliment 2 days a week. I would stay away from mealworm, the shells can be hard for them to digest sometimes. Make sure that whatever you are feeding them is no larger than the space between their eyes.
I give my dragons a daily bath in warm water this helps them when they are shedding & I know mine dont drink from a water bowl, but they do drink & poop in the bath.
Do you know what age the Dragons are?
Feel free to ask any question you like and everyone will do their best to help you out.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I would consider separating them as well! Besides the pestering, you probably don't want to deal with babies right now!!
Don't forget the calcium and vitamins!! One of the petstores I had gone to, didn't even Mention that to me!

ajandj

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi and welcome, here is a food chart i use, it's colour coded and easy to read.
http://carolinadesignerdragons.com/common/docs/food_list.pdf

i also offer things like lavander, rosemary, basil, pansy flowers,nasturtium flowers and leaves.
I dust with calcium 5 days a week and vitamins twice a week. Yoda also has crickets twice a day and he has between 15 -30 medium size each feed

Goodluck!!

Latest posts