• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bearded Dragon Care Ques

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Great thanks so much. I was looking at getting a starter kit but that comes with the 10 gal tank. Is it better to just get the 40 gal and then buy stuff on the side? Also I wrote a write up and its pretty comparable to your forums except the only thing is mine says that sand is good to use because it's easy to clean up but the more and more I research the less and less that seems true. I saw some people have tile. How do I go about using that? Also for the basking light it said to use river pebbles but the lady at petsmart said that a branch is better. Which do people prefer on here?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Re: Newbie To Bearded Dragons

Yup, the 40 gal and the extra stuff. At least you can get the extras you want/need, rather than the starter kit that you cannot choose the items you want (just my opinion).

Sand is a controversial topic. Sand can be used, but requires a lot of maintenance. It harbors bacteria once soiled, and needs frequent replacing. Just a lot of hassle in my eyes. I've used it in the past.
A lot of people on this forum use tile, and lemme tell ya, it was the best substrate switch I ever did. Super easy to clean, and looks nice.

You can find tile at most hardware stores like Home Depot, Rona, etc. Just find ones of size. You may have to get them cut too. I wouldn't seal the tiles in, as some poop or something can get in the cracks, and will just be gross. I put paper towel down first, then lay the tiles on top. At least the stuff that fell between the cracks, will go on the paper towel and can just be thrown out. And at least if they're not sealed in, you can take them out individually to clean them.

For a basking spot, get creative. There are many things you can use. I've tried different things for my beardies, and some things they just prefer over the other. One of my babies likes a half log, and the other baby likes slate rock.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member

Cool I will do the tiles then definitely. I've read on some places that if you use branches or pebbles the crickets hide in them and the beardie won't be able to eat is that true and if so where and what time would be the appropriate place to feed?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member

Yes, crickets will hide in little nooks and crannys. You can still feed in the tank, but you'll have to search to see if there are anymore crickets, when the beardie is done eating. Or you can even take out the objects that you think crickets can hide in when it's feeding time. I personally feed my babies in a container that's big enough for them. I'd rather not search for the crickets in the tank lol.

Time is totally up to you. Whatever will work around your schedule. But, you do not want to feed before an hour after the lights come on, or an hour before they go off (I personally do 2 hours).

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Moved by Adminstrator. I didn't want our members to miss your questions by having it buried in the Intro board.

For starters, welcome! I'll provide a link to our caresheet. I think it addresses all your questions. If you need any follow up, feel free to ask away!
Bearded Dragon Care

Latest posts