• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BD is part chameleon?

Waffles

Bearded Dragon Egg
Of course, I'm being silly. But I notice that sometimes his color is really dark. His entire body is darker and the spots on his underside are pronounced. He is usually on the cooler side of the tank when I find him like this. When I pick him up, with a few minutes, his color is much lighter and his underside has no evidence of spots, almost a solid cream color.

Does anyone know the reason for this?
Thanks!

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: i believe your baby is just warming up and all mine are darker in the morning before they warm up and then full colour restores when they are warm and happy. Nothing to worry about. But they need to warm up first. hope this helps you a little. River-7

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BDs will lighten\darken as a method to make slight changes in thermoregulation. Much like we will wear light colored clothing on a hot day to remain cooler. BDs may darken up when they feel the need to absorb more heat, be lighter colored when they don't have to maximize their heat absorption from their surroundings.

Latest posts