• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BATH????

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It has been 8-days[13th] since i have had him and i wonder if i should try him on a little bath or stick to misting -for now-He seems to be adjusting great as i changed his basking frog stand to a little other one and he's on it now and don't seemed bothered-but i don't want to stress him either-what do you all think?? Reason i had to change it was dirty and cleaned with vinegar and rinsed well and baked in oven.It is alsmost dry now and is out of oven-what do you all think-the one i just put in is a little higher then his old one.Maybe a inch or so higher. All response's welcome and appreciated.Bella-aka-river

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would be fine to give him a warm bath, now. Be sure it is quite warm to the touch, when tested on the inside of the wrist like you would a baby's bottle. Water up to it's armpits when standing, should always be able to touch bottom should it need to. He may not seem to like it to start with, but just let him flail around, this is natural & he will soon get used to it. The are naturally avid swimmers, will inflate their body with air, to enable themselves to float & can safely submerge for short periods of time. There are some BDs that even seem to like to swim under water for short bursts ;) .

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OK, GERM; I will try his bath as i think i should get him use to it as a young baby so he will enjoy it as an adult and will help with his shedding. Thanks soo much Germ it sure is nice to have this forum. Bella-aka-river

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Be warned that more times than not, a warm soak may promote a bowel movement, so it often helps to clean them inside & out ;) . Just drain & run a clean bath if it gets soiled. It also helps to clear minor constipation and impactions, helps to hydrate them, as many will drink from the bath water & is a welcome relief at shed time, as it really helps to loosen\release the old skin to help alleviate much of the itching. It is also a good plan, prior to any outings, as it may help prevent unwanted "Accidents" ;).

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Whether he likes it or not, it is necessary & they will become accustomed to it ;) .

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How true; I believe all animals need a bath and makes a great difference in them-The groomer comes in once a months for my dogs.And i'm sure he will get use to it and come to love his bath lol. Thanks Germ-I have 3-diff; sizes of a bath tub for him small, med; and large As with all i bought are in those sizes.I am about to take a pic soon and post one of him as he's settling nicely.and the vet will come in at end of month she is also a reptile vet so she will give a little check-over to retro. I like the fact that she comes in as it's less stress on the animal.I have a love-bird that gets her beak trimmed regular. I could do it but let the pros do it and she will also be retro's vet as well-She specializes in reptiles and does birds beaks, nails as a favour to me really;But mostly reptiles. and a very gentle lady been in the bussiness for years.I will bath Retro and make the water just right and i have the feeling he will love, love it-As he doe's not move when i take him out to mist he seems to really like it.No fuss no nothing even licks the drops from his head.It makes an animal feel good after their bath, all seem to get sleepy after bath or lively one or the other.I bought 'Retro' a little stone with small cup in it and i forget the name of it but it's for his nails to be ground as he uses it. The idea is to put in a fav; food and his nails keep trimmed as they grow. Neet idea who-ever created it.This is a reptile store were i go for supplies and all their crickets are treated good and Canadian grown.Thanks Germ; Always like talking to you. Bella-aka-river

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As for licking of the misting from the nose, that is what should happen & a big part of the purpose of misting, is so it will do that ;) .

The stone in the cup thing is a good idea, I always recommend people putting a large rock in their enclosures for this exact reason, to help keep their claws in check as they climb or bask on it. That little tip was written on my crib ;), so it has been around for a long time, not really a new idea ;) .

BoomBoom

Hatchling Dragon
this has been a useful thread. I too was wondering when was best to start bathing Boomer. Im going to try her today too. Thanks guys :)

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Germ knows WAY more than I do, but I thought I would share this with the "first time bathers". When you put your little guy (or girl) in the bath, they get really big. They basically look like a filled up balloon. What I mean by this is their body will actually expand. When you but a bearded dragon in water, they actually absorb water through their pores, and their "vent" (where they poop). This is normal. Sometimes, Aussie will get so big it kinda scared me, and I'll pick him up out of the water for a bit so he can "drain". Enjoy bath time. :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
RETRO: had his soak[bath] and he just loved it. i put just enough water so it came under his arms, and the bath tub was his size as well[not too big] just the right size for him . At first he wondered what happened. Not frightened or anything just lied there and soaked-i am glad he really seemed to enjoy his first bath. And i talked to him all the way threw his little bath. I used a towel to hold him for a few minutes and he snuggled right in. So i thought while i would love to hold for awhile longer then i did. I thought he would need his heat so i put him on basking rock and he's still there. So happy he enjoyed his bath; Just i would share with you all. so going to feed now-Bella-aka-river

Latest posts