• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking temp

tj4x4fun

Hatchling Dragon
So I went and got a zoomed digital thermometer with remote probe. after sitting on the branch where she basks for 20 min it reads 114.4 is this too hot? Should I drop the branch down some? It is 8" from the 75 watt bulb.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374202297.976746.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
115F is about the limit for a Juvenile & in itself is not too hot, but does not allow for variations in the ambient room temp. Should the ambient room temps rise 5-10F because the sun is heating the room through a window, then the enclosure ambient temp will likely also rise 5-10F, which then would be much too hot. This is why 110F is recommended give some room for variation.

To answer your question, yes, I would suggest dropping the basking spot down a little to drop the basking temp closer to the 110F mark.

tj4x4fun

Hatchling Dragon
10-4 thanks for all your help. Buying the thermometer was the best $11 investment I've made.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You really want to check the temps after the lights have been on for a few hours to bring the enclosure up to normal temps, then take the reading only after the sensor has been in place for better than an hour.

tj4x4fun

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so I just got home from work and the temp is 113.1 so I'm guessing the basking spot could be a few inches off the ground and still be ok. Time to retest.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm guessing the basking spot could be a few inches off the ground and still be ok.
A lower Basking Spot is not necessarily a bad thing, provided that it is still within 10-12" from your unfiltered UVB Bulb, so it is still close enough to be effective. If not, you may have to go to a different type/wattage heat bulb.

tj4x4fun

Hatchling Dragon
I got it to 108 after a hour and I'm sure it may get hotter with house temp. Is this ok?

tj4x4fun

Hatchling Dragon
Cool. My wife is making fun of me for all the stuff I keep changing. She said it like our reef tank just another hobby. I found digital aquatics makes a controller I can hook up to my iPhone to control temp and humidity and light cycle. This could get expensive.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How does it control the heat. Most thermometers/controllers do more harm than good, as once the set temp is reached, they will shutdown the light to control the heat, then turn back on once the temp drops to another predetermined point. In effect, turning their visual 'Sun' on & off all day. This is unnatural, confusing & stressful to the BD. I never recommend using them. As you are set up now, gives you some temp lee way either way & is the better plan, IMHO. If they find it too hot, they will move to a cooler spot. They know better than we do where & when they are comfy. It is our job to provide the proper choices & let them make them.

Good Luck

tj4x4fun

Hatchling Dragon
Controls heat if I use a ceramic heater based off a temp probe but I'm going to k.i.s.s. I have the basking and UVB on a 12 hr cycle with a timer from lowes. Seems to work well. One think I noticed is the UVB will turn off if the lamp housing is tapped. So I think I'm going to return it or exchange it Monday.

Latest posts