• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking spots- rock vs wood

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
I really like the look of branches in tanks. I see that a lot of people use basking rocks, though. Is this because it is a better basking spot/surface for them?

Do you feel like rocks or branches are better?

If you use branches where do you use them in your tank?

Thanks!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I like the look of branches too. I used to use mopani wood or grape wood. I would either get it on Amazon or at pet stores. Currently, now that mine are adults, we use bark hides in two tanks and bricks in another. We didn't want the adults climbing too much and falling and their temps don't need to be as warm as they are for younger dragons.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
I like the look of branches too. I used to use mopani wood or grape wood. I would either get it on Amazon or at pet stores. Currently, now that mine are adults, we use bark hides in two tanks and bricks in another. We didn't want the adults climbing too much and falling and their temps don't need to be as warm as they are for younger dragons.
I like the look of branches, although I think basking rocks tend to be better insulators of the heat output off the lamps, even when far away they tend to warm up pretty well. My beardies like to bask close to the light for a certain period of the day, then they switch over to the rocks which are just warm and nice to lay on.
So I would suggest maybe add both in the tank haha idk, as long as they are getting their uvb and heat they're good, outside that costomization is up to the owner lol

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
So the branches aren't as secure? (re: falling) OK good to know... If I go that route I'll be sure to use a big fat piece. We'll see.

For "bark hides" do you mean something like this?
shopping.jpeg

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
So the branches aren't as secure? (re: falling) OK good to know... If I go that route I'll be sure to use a big fat piece. We'll see.

For "bark hides" do you mean something like this?
View attachment 17759
Branches don't necessarily mean they're more prone to falling. They are actually quite agile and their claws are helpful in clinging to things, unless you trim them which is not recommended because they are more prone to falling. That bark hide is good, I have used it before and they seem to like it, although if depends on size of the beardie lol.

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
If you do choose branches I'd use something that when they lay on, their width does not overlap the branch. So yeah, fat branches

magpie

Hatchling Dragon
Awesome, I saw them at Petco yesterday, but I couldn't choose the size yet, as I don't have a good "visual" on how big he is. :) There's also a great reptile store here but they were closed yesterday. Will swing by there this afternoon to look at what they have.

Calvin comes home with me tonight! I'm not sure how much to change and how soon. I don't want to stress him out further during what I'm sure will be a stressful situation. But it's fun to plan.

I got Repashy Calcium plus yesterday just so I could get something LOL.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awesome, I saw them at Petco yesterday, but I couldn't choose the size yet, as I don't have a good "visual" on how big he is. :) There's also a great reptile store here but they were closed yesterday. Will swing by there this afternoon to look at what they have.

Calvin comes home with me tonight! I'm not sure how much to change and how soon. I don't want to stress him out further during what I'm sure will be a stressful situation. But it's fun to plan.

I got Repashy Calcium plus yesterday just so I could get something LOL.
Hope things are going well!! For hides in all 3 of mine I use a 12x12 ceramic tile and I've glued 3" 1x1's so they can go under the tile to nap and move about as they want to, I just put a fleece blanket over to cover them up.

Latest posts