• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking light question

BengalGirl

Hatchling Dragon
Fairly new beardie owner here. :). Upgraded Earl's enclosure recently and purchased this piece of "furniture". I think it's too close to his basking light. He will sleep on top of it at night but during the day, he hangs out on the side like in the pic. How far away should he be from the basking lamp? The tank is a ReptiZoo and is 18" tall. I'm not sure what size basking furniture to put there. Also, what are some good places to purchase furniture? Yes, I call it furniture. LOL. I have new tube UVB lights on the way. FedEx is taking forever. Ugh. But the temps are ok. He eats insects and his salads and poops about every other day. Poop and urates are normal. He is shedding right now.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20210811_151640.jpg
    20210811_151640.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
What wattage is the bulb? And put the probe directly underneath the fulcrum of the light (the middle of the basking spot) and tell me what temperature ur getting, older bearded dragons like 95-100 temps

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
There’s magnetic ledges with feed dishes in them too, my gecko enjoys them, fake reptile vines are cool too, cork bark tubes are my bearded dragons favorite, and if you have any parks or forests nearby, id go there first if you want branches or twigs, and if anyone says anything just say ur “cleaning up the environment” :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1B7BF7F8-5465-45ED-BBA5-A1D91FAFE523.jpeg
    1B7BF7F8-5465-45ED-BBA5-A1D91FAFE523.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • F199C7CC-A49A-4E53-99A6-163879DE4D34.jpeg
    F199C7CC-A49A-4E53-99A6-163879DE4D34.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

BengalGirl

Hatchling Dragon
What wattage is the bulb? And put the probe directly underneath the fulcrum of the light (the middle of the basking spot) and tell me what temperature ur getting, older bearded dragons like 95-100 temps
It's a ZooMed basking bulb. 75w. The temp is 105 but the surface of the top of that furniture is pretty hot. Like 120 degrees. So it appears it's definitely too hot for him up there. I was told Earl is about 6 months old.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It's a ZooMed basking bulb. 75w. The temp is 105 but the surface of the top of that furniture is pretty hot. Like 120 degrees. So it appears it's definitely too hot for him up there. I was told Earl is about 6 months old.
Can u post a full shot of the enclosure? Put the hide on the left side of the enclosure and then take ur temperature again.

BengalGirl

Hatchling Dragon
I have a hammock on the other side of his tank. I'm thinking of putting that in his basking spot so I can lower it from his basking light. He just looks uncomfortable hanging on the side of this big rock thing.....Would he be able to get into the hammock from the log here, you think?

Attachments

• 20210811_154828.jpg
    20210811_154828.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Do you have any old dish rags that you can retire to his enclosure? Bearded dragons love soft things, rub it on your clean body if you want to put ur scent on it, and help him relax with all the changes.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
And Put another rag on top of the hammock on the right side and elevate it till you have at least 105 , it’ll create a dark spot, and it’ll protect it, if he poops on it then u dont have to clean the hammock, they are great for bashing spots, im looking to get a extra large one for myself.

BengalGirl

Hatchling Dragon
I can definitely put a dishrag on the hammock. But he's a really clean dragon. He always climbs down and poops in the middle where there's no furniture. LOL

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I wish my girl would respect me and not poop literally everywhere.
98 Even better, thats what i have, ive noticed those green hammocks cant take super high heat, so just be careful, my light is about 16 inches from her basking spot, its a 150watt

Attachments

• 9946AC03-AD01-45B8-8F4B-BD456EF6B6F5.jpeg
    9946AC03-AD01-45B8-8F4B-BD456EF6B6F5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fairly new beardie owner here. :). Upgraded Earl's enclosure recently and purchased this piece of "furniture". I think it's too close to his basking light. He will sleep on top of it at night but during the day, he hangs out on the side like in the pic. How far away should he be from the basking lamp? The tank is a ReptiZoo and is 18" tall. I'm not sure what size basking furniture to put there. Also, what are some good places to purchase furniture? Yes, I call it furniture. LOL. I have new tube UVB lights on the way. FedEx is taking forever. Ugh. But the temps are ok. He eats insects and his salads and poops about every other day. Poop and urates are normal. He is shedding right now.

Thanks!!
With him hanging on the side like that tells me it too hot on top --- the basking light should be at least 6" away -- no closer --- look at Pet Smart for decor -- I use these two pieces in my tanks both dragons love them and utilize them different ways - they offer a heat gradient the long stick part is layed down in the tank in the floor and the big trunk piece is under the basking light https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116

BengalGirl

Hatchling Dragon
I wish my girl would respect me and not poop literally everywhere.
98 Even better, thats what i have, ive noticed those green hammocks cant take super high heat, so just be careful, my light is about 16 inches from her basking spot, its a 150watt
He's checking the hammock out right now. Hasn't climbed completely into it yet. I'd rather find a more sturdy object the right size and height for him for basking. I worry about the suction cups on the hammock.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's checking the hammock out right now. Hasn't climbed completely into it yet. I'd rather find a more sturdy object the right size and height for him for basking. I worry about the suction cups on the hammock.
I recommend getting a fleece hammock or cloth www.pamperedbeardies.com the green ones tend to cause injury to the nails and legs w/ them getting them snagged in the holes

BengalGirl

Hatchling Dragon
With him hanging on the side like that tells me it too hot on top --- the basking light should be at least 6" away -- no closer --- look at Pet Smart for decor -- I use these two pieces in my tanks both dragons love them and utilize them different ways - they offer a heat gradient the long stick part is layed down in the tank in the floor and the big trunk piece is under the basking light https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
My local PetSmart doesn't have much in the store. I struggle with buying online because I can't see and feel it...make sure it's the right size and doesn't have any dangerous edges ..that sort of thing.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My local PetSmart doesn't have much in the store. I struggle with buying online because I can't see and feel it...make sure it's the right size and doesn't have any dangerous edges ..that sort of thing.
What about Petco ? here is a pic of my one tank Hiccup so you can see it

Attachments

• Hiccup tank 8-8-2021.jpg
    Hiccup tank 8-8-2021.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 57

BengalGirl

Hatchling Dragon
What about Petco ? here is a pic of my one tank Hiccup so you can see it
That's super nice!! I love seeing other setups cause it gives me ideas! This is the first lizard I've ever owned and want to do everything right.

There's a Petco about 30 minutes from me. I'll visit there this weekend!!

BengalGirl

Hatchling Dragon
And I'll definitely be ordering some stuff from that pampered beardie site. Such cute little costumes!!!!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's super nice!! I love seeing other setups cause it gives me ideas! This is the first lizard I've ever owned and want to do everything right.

There's a Petco about 30 minutes from me. I'll visit there this weekend!!
Sounds good let me know how it goes --

Latest posts