• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basking Area

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

My juvenile will soon be too big for his basking area which is a cave that he sits on top of.

I have been looking for a bigger cave to replace it, however I can only seem to find the size that I’m looking for in slate. Is slate ok, or does it get too hot for their bellies? I’m sure I’ve read somewhere before not to use slate…..

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was worried about my 7 month old who suddenly just started eating only a couple of bugs here and there in late December. He started when I went away for the week and initially I thought he was just being fussy because my neighbour was feeding him instead of me. He was the same after I got home ignoring the Dubias and even refused silkworms, which are his favourite.

Apart from the eating he was fine and didn’t loose any weight. After a few weeks of ruling things out, I started wondering about Brumation (which I had initially dismissed because of his age) and decided to leave my heating on all night for him and he went back to normal within a couple of days. Not sure where you are based, but in the UK I definitely think a heat bulb is needed as part of the standard set up as I have since heard of a few younger ones doing this when it’s cold here.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

My juvenile will soon be too big for his basking area which is a cave that he sits on top of.

I have been looking for a bigger cave to replace it, however I can only seem to find the size that I’m looking for in slate. Is slate ok, or does it get too hot for their bellies? I’m sure I’ve read somewhere before not to use slate…..
Slate does get hot - here is a website for a cave that is really big

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you using a solid clear bright white basking bulb? NO ceramic heat emitters - dragons like cool and dark to sleep -- ambient temps around 65-75 F -- when they turn around 6 months of age the basking temps should be around 95-100 as they get older they do not like the real hot temps -- is the UVB in the tank? Screens block 30% of the rays - wide hole type screens are ok to sit on top but the basking decor should be directly under it 8-10 inches
Set up is all good, you advised me before on it x

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Set up is all good, you advised me before on it x
ok well I would say shes got the zoomies and her appetite will come back - I was surprised she ate as much as she did - just keep offering her food and maybe let her out to roam

Latest posts