• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bad Euthanasia

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm sorry for how this is going to sound, and if you're upset over animal death, please do not read this.

I'm just so heartbroken and feel so guilty. About a week ago, I made the choice to put my bearded dragon, Spyro, out of her misery. She had a neurological disease and there was nothing else I could have done. I took her to the vet because I trusted they knew what they were doing.

I sat with her while it happened. They administered an injection into her body cavity, and immediately she began to throw up. I've never put a bearded dragon down, but I didn't expect such an awful reaction. She looked so scared and disoriented. I don't even know if any sedation happened, I was so heartbroken and they made me sign paperwork while she lay there dying.

My only solace is that I was there for her. While she threw up bile and probably mucus or blood, I sat petting her and whispering how much I loved her.

Did I do something wrong? Did the vet do something wrong? Please, I can't stop thinking of her last moments. I feel so sick and heartbroken wondering if I could have made things any better.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm sorry for how this is going to sound, and if you're upset over animal death, please do not read this.

I'm just so heartbroken and feel so guilty. About a week ago, I made the choice to put my bearded dragon, Spyro, out of her misery. She had a neurological disease and there was nothing else I could have done. I took her to the vet because I trusted they knew what they were doing.

I sat with her while it happened. They administered an injection into her body cavity, and immediately she began to throw up. I've never put a bearded dragon down, but I didn't expect such an awful reaction. She looked so scared and disoriented. I don't even know if any sedation happened, I was so heartbroken and they made me sign paperwork while she lay there dying.

My only solace is that I was there for her. While she threw up bile and probably mucus or blood, I sat petting her and whispering how much I loved her.

Did I do something wrong? Did the vet do something wrong? Please, I can't stop thinking of her last moments. I feel so sick and heartbroken wondering if I could have made things any better.
:( I am sure she knew you loved her --- dont beat yourself up --- give yourself time to grieve --- I totally understand
it is so heartbreaking to haft to make that kind of decision - again I am so sorry

Ranteater

Bearded Dragon Egg
:( I am sure she knew you loved her --- dont beat yourself up --- give yourself time to grieve --- I totally understand
it is so heartbreaking to haft to make that kind of decision - again I am so sorry
Thank you for your kind words. I just feel like a part of me is gone, you know? I hope I did everything I could. I hope she's resting easy now. :'(

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Im so sorry you’re going through this, i never thought I could love a lizard as much as I have mine, NO you didn’t do anything wrong, you did the right thing having her put to sleep, quality of life is very important, and im positive you tried giving her the best you could possibly give, sometimes with small animals the drug they administer gives them nausea, and thats probably why that happened, please dont beat yourself up to bad.

Latest posts