• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Back legs went paralyzed and now he's suddenly better...?!

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I am a new bearded dragon owner. Yesterday, I think I accidentally overfed my juvenile beardie, Spike. All of the research I have done says give your juvenile beardie lots of crickets. I think possibly some of them were too big. He ate the crickets very fast and had around 10 of them. Spike seemed very full and his back legs started becoming paralyzed. I looked this up and I saw the main things were impaction, MBD, or overfeeding. He pooped twice yesterday so he wasn't exactly impacted. I had him for a week and I have seen no signs of MBD. I was very worried because all of the things I looked up said to seek a vet immediately, or most likely, he will die. It was 11 at night and I tried calling several emergency vets with no luck; they do not specialize in reptiles. When it was time for bed, I turned off his lights and he hopped up from his hammock with no problem and went to sleep. This morning he was completely back to normal, pooped normally, and ate some veggies (collards and yellow squash with d3 calcium.) I am giving him a break from crickets for a couple days so he can have some time to digest, (and I'm waiting on the pet store to resupply with crickets!) Should I still be worried? I am calling a vet that specializes in reptiles tomorrow, just to get a check up! :) Any other ideas on what to feed him other than crickets would be greatly appreciated!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Roaches are probably the best feeder for overallness, bsfl are good too, hornworms are my bearded dragons favorite, super worms are good for a dragon older than 6months, i have no idea why his legs would give out, my beardie goes limp when i go and pick her up but idk if thats just because or what :/

toddhowe40

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I am a new bearded dragon owner. Yesterday, I think I accidentally overfed my juvenile beardie, Spike. All of the research I have done says give your juvenile beardie lots of crickets. I think possibly some of them were too big. He ate the crickets very fast and had around 10 of them. Spike seemed very full and his back legs started becoming paralyzed. I looked this up and I saw the main things were impaction, MBD, or overfeeding. He pooped twice yesterday so he wasn't exactly impacted. I had him for a week and I have seen no signs of MBD. I was very worried because all of the things I looked up said to seek a vet immediately, or most likely, he will die. It was 11 at night and I tried calling several emergency vets with no luck; they do not specialize in reptiles. When it was time for bed, I turned off his lights and he hopped up from his hammock with no problem and went to sleep. This morning he was completely back to normal, pooped normally, and ate some veggies (collards and yellow squash with d3 calcium.) I am giving him a break from crickets for a couple days so he can have some time to digest, (and I'm waiting on the pet store to resupply with crickets!) Should I still be worried? I am calling a vet that specializes in reptiles tomorrow, just to get a check up! :) Any other ideas on what to feed him other than crickets would be greatly appreciated!
Check out cold blooded reptiles on YouTube he is very good with decades of experience and is a breeder

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please watch the size of insects your giving the insect should be no bigger than the space between the eyes length wise -- roaches are a better feeder anyway --- I would not rely on pet stores for your insects --- most people order on line and they are cheaper anyway -- I would set your self up a 10 gallon aquarium tank w/ some dubia food and water pellets/ crystals and order 200 roaches --- they last longer they dont chirp they dont escape and they dont stink --- easier to keep --- are you feeding your dragon salads? They need salads every morning and as Skybug recommended other staple feeders are available as well silk worms BSFL are both good feeders --- your dragon is not impacted thank goodness but there are other remedies other than the vet --- natural laxatives you dont want the vet to EVER GIVE AN ENEMA they often end up in disaster --- make sure your using good UVB NO COILS please and good basking temps --- temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons please

amandapandatm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please watch the size of insects your giving the insect should be no bigger than the space between the eyes length wise -- roaches are a better feeder anyway --- I would not rely on pet stores for your insects --- most people order on line and they are cheaper anyway -- I would set your self up a 10 gallon aquarium tank w/ some dubia food and water pellets/ crystals and order 200 roaches --- they last longer they dont chirp they dont escape and they dont stink --- easier to keep --- are you feeding your dragon salads? They need salads every morning and as Skybug recommended other staple feeders are available as well silk worms BSFL are both good feeders --- your dragon is not impacted thank goodness but there are other remedies other than the vet --- natural laxatives you dont want the vet to EVER GIVE AN ENEMA they often end up in disaster --- make sure your using good UVB NO COILS please and good basking temps --- temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons please
Thank you so much for this info! I am feeding him collards and squash the past few days. He is all about the crickets right now though and he isn't that interested in eating his veggies, though he does eat little bits here and there. What kind of salads do you recommend? Like a spring mix? He has a coil UVB right now, I will buy him a strip instead.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for this info! I am feeding him collards and squash the past few days. He is all about the crickets right now though and he isn't that interested in eating his veggies, though he does eat little bits here and there. What kind of salads do you recommend? Like a spring mix? He has a coil UVB right now, I will buy him a strip instead.
Please get a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank -- Zoo Med Sunblaster or a Arcadia --- all are good you want a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or the Arcadia Pro T 5 -- that would take the 12% Desert bulb---- when you replace it and get it let me know so I can help you place it in the tank ---
here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -- you want him eating salads now --- get some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com DO NOT DUST THEM they are calcium enriched --- use those as salad lures - you will need a dish they cant get out of like this https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...⦁&⦁pd_rd_wg=tLkwE⦁&⦁ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
feed first thing in the morning --- they are good hand feeders too - then add as many as you want to the salad bowl in front of him it will get his attention they are also another staple feeder

Latest posts