• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby won’t open left eye

Rayn3bow09

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi everyone! I am a member of a different beardie forum site.. but never seem to get any responses.. so I’m trying my luck with this one. My new baby just finished shedding. Yesterday I noticed he was keeping his left eye closed. I thought maybe he had shed in his/her eye.. but when he does seldomly open it for a quick second..I don’t see anything in it. I have tried taking a qtip and wiping it gently.. but this is day 2 with the eye closed. I saw him rubbing it on the carpet in his tank. I know it’s bugging him. I feel so bad! I’m guessing I’ll be asked a bunch of questions about his set up and diet before I get an opinion... so here it goes.. 20gal tank.. reptile carpet.. 10.0uvb... forget wht the basking lamp is.. but it’s a desert one. Their basking side stays between 100-110... cool side around 80. Oh yea.. forgot to mention I have 2..both about 2 months old.. don’t know the sex.. it’s driving me crazy because I can’t decide on appropriate names..which I would love to hear some pair names if anyone knows of any good ones.. they are both light..red/orange..one is a leatherback. Ok got side tracked.. lol.. they eat pretty well..maybe 10crickets each daily..dusted with calcium every 2 days. multi vitamins once a week. also a few bites of greens...the occasional small mealworm. They get warm baths daily..both are pretty active.. with the exception of today.. the one with the eye closed isn’t doing much today. I know they will need to be separated before maturity..hmm I think that’s all.. I’ll post a pic of them. But the eye isn’t very telling by looking at it.. looks pretty normal other than it’s closed. Hopefully u guys can help me figure it out.. also.. anyone who has name ideas.. let’s hear them! And any sexing advice? I know males have 2 hemipenes which makes two bumps under tail where girls is just one bump.. but I still can’t tell

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How is the eye doing now? You could also flush the eye with sterile saline to try to get whatever is bothering it out.

2 months is a little too young to sex. Usually you can tell around 4 or 5 months. Also, they are solitary animals and should really be kept apart. Even siblings have been known to attack each other or compete for light and food.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea it is a bit early to determine the sex of them with confidence.
Saline flushes and if it doesn't seem to make a difference I would have him/her seen by your exotic vet..

Latest posts