• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby seeing his relection question

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi to all you beardie lovers! I have noticed that all of a sudden my beardie has noticed his reflection in the glass and it is distracting him from eating his crickets. In the morning he is eating okay, but in the middle of feeding him, he notices himself in the glass and just starts staring into it, completely ignoring the crickets. He seems to be more distracted in the afternoon because he used to eat 10-15 crickets in the afternoon, and now he has only been eating about 5 and I am worried he is going to get sick or lose weight. Do any of you suggest getting a paper backround? And until I can get that, can I use paper towels or is there anything else anyone recommends?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Then again it is possible that you are witnessing the early signs of BDNPD commonly known as Bearded Dragon Narcissistic Personality Disorder..if that is the case I am.afraid that there is no cure available and no matter how many thousands of dollars you spend on therapy sessions for your dragon nothing will keep the disorder from continuing to progress....it is best that you just go along with it and realize that in his/her beardie mind they are and always will be the center of the universe as well as the most beautiful creature ever!! And you have the unique good fortune of being allowed to provide this awesome dragon everything he could possibly want and need to grow big strong and into the greatest dragon to ever rule the world!
It's truly an amazing disorder in that BDNPD causes no harm to anyone envolved and in fact brings years of happiness and joy to those that "roll with it"....sooooo next time your lil dragon catches his reflection and starts staring just say "Yes indeed...I see it too...The Greatest Dragon EVER!";)

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. I was ONCE!" Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's something that it's got to get used to, he'll eat when he's hungry. Feed him & leave the room, it may be you that is distracting him. I have had a few BDs go through periods that they wouldn't eat while I was there, but I would leave the room & peek back around the corner & they would be munching away.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Germ is exactly right on this. We have an Iguana that is the same way...will not eat if anyone is present in the room and in fact not only will he not eat he gets quite nasty about it if you hang around trying to watch. He's otherwise a docile quiet creature but if you place his food bowl in his enclosure and stick around he will literally turn into an iguana cyclone, diving into his bowl and scattering his food from one end of his enclosure to the other...lol..smh. So we have learned to place his food and walk away which results in him eating with no problems. He just doesnt like anyone watching;)
Ive had other creatures to that shared that behavior. It may be a lil bit of insecurity. If you think about it it makes perfect since because when a creature is eating it is in a very vulnerable position. In the wild animals have to be on the watch while they eat because of predators and or competitors that might try and steal their meal or catch them while they are distracted with the yummies...a lot of creatures snatch and run, dragiing meals off to hide and eat or gobbling as much as they can quickly and.scampering off to safer grounds.
Anyway I dont believe you have anything to.worry about...just be patient and keep offering fresh greens daily and give him.some.room...more than.likely his tummy grumbling will overide and he will focus back on his food soon enough;)
Enjoy your day!

"That's just my opinion. I could be wrong. I was ONCE!" Comedian/Social Commentarian Dennis Miller

Latest posts