• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Dragon not Mellowing Out

thewintermood

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I have had a baby bearded dragon for about three weeks now. He's very cute and I am enjoying having him but he wants nothing to do with me and I was kind of hoping he would have mellowed out a bit by now.

Every day I (try to) hand feed him veggies, and lay my hand next to him 3-4 times a day to get him used to me. When I lightly pet his back he seems very on edge, and will run to the other side of the rock if I do it more than a few times. I have to be careful not to be bitten picking him up, although once I have him picked up he has stopped running around quite so much.

How long does it normally take before a baby bearded dragon mellows out enough to pick up (without stressing him out.)

Is there a general age range where baby bearded dragons start to mellow out, or is it completely different with every dragon? A bit worried he still views me as a threat.

Attachments

• PXL_20201230_235428464.jpg
    PXL_20201230_235428464.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I have had a baby bearded dragon for about three weeks now. He's very cute and I am enjoying having him but he wants nothing to do with me and I was kind of hoping he would have mellowed out a bit by now.

Every day I (try to) hand feed him veggies, and lay my hand next to him 3-4 times a day to get him used to me. When I lightly pet his back he seems very on edge, and will run to the other side of the rock if I do it more than a few times. I have to be careful not to be bitten picking him up, although once I have him picked up he has stopped running around quite so much.

How long does it normally take before a baby bearded dragon mellows out enough to pick up (without stressing him out.)

Is there a general age range where baby bearded dragons start to mellow out, or is it completely different with every dragon? A bit worried he still views me as a threat.
That is normal behavior --- it takes them awhile to acclimate to the tank and surroundings but you have a good idea and what your doing is great --- it takes time and they need to learn to trust --I would go slowly and only hold him for a few minutes at at time in the tank --- get a soft piece of clothing that has your smell on it or a soft fleece blanket w/ your smell on it place in his hide so he gets used to your smell ---- get him some BSFL from here www.symtonbsf.com and hand feed those get large do not dust them -- he needs salads every morning use those as lures to the salad bowl ---add to the salad bowl in front of him ----BUT you MUST HAVE GOOD AND PROPER LIGHTING IN THE TANK -- NO COILS for UVB's and basking temps MUST be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- stick ons are in accurate ---

thewintermood

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow that is a lot of good advice. Thank you.

For UVB I have a 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W. His basking spot is about 100 for most of the day and about 105 by the end of the day. I use one of those laser temperature guns. He has hides that are 75f and 80f.

Thanks for the tip on the larva, just purchased some.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow that is a lot of good advice. Thank you.

For UVB I have a 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W. His basking spot is about 100 for most of the day and about 105 by the end of the day. I use one of those laser temperature guns. He has hides that are 75f and 80f.

Thanks for the tip on the larva, just purchased some.
The T 5 is inside the tank or on top of screen --- it can be on top of the screen but it must be a wide hole screen - if its a fine mesh screen like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank - the screen blocks 30% of those rays --- distance also plays a role here as well

thewintermood

Bearded Dragon Egg
The T 5 is inside the tank or on top of screen --- it can be on top of the screen but it must be a wide hole screen - if its a fine mesh screen like a screen door it needs to be inside the tank - the screen blocks 30% of those rays --- distance also plays a role here as well

Here is my setup. I have the UVB light setup on wood blocks to get it a bit closer to the dragon

Attachments

• PXL_20210121_014111708.jpg
    PXL_20210121_014111708.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210121_014118634.jpg
    PXL_20210121_014118634.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is my setup. I have the UVB light setup on wood blocks to get it a bit closer to the dragon
The T 5 is way too high --- if you want to keep that set up the way it is I recommend you get a Arcadia 14% bulb -- they are set up for distances of 24" --- your UVB is doing no good the way its set up now --- distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches w/ basking decor directly underneath -- you would need a piece of decor under the 14% bulb approx 17-18 inches directly underneath ---

thewintermood

Bearded Dragon Egg
It doesn't look like Arcadia sells a 14% bulb that is 22 inches long (which is the fixture) There is only one brand I can find with 22 inch UVB bulbs (but the forum wont let me mention it)

So I guess that means I could move the fixture to the left and farther down?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It doesn't look like Arcadia sells a 14% bulb that is 22 inches long (which is the fixture) There is only one brand I can find with 22 inch UVB bulbs (but the forum wont let me mention it)

So I guess that means I could move the fixture to the left and farther down?
Go to this website www.pangeareptiles.com
Look under T 5 lights

Latest posts