• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Brumation.

Daniel Mertz

Bearded Dragon Egg
So just curious.... got a youngin only a couple months old. I believe he is brumating just sleeps all day while I pick him up, bathe him, move him to clean, attempt to feed him. He does move locations throughout the day I never see him do that but is somewhere else sleeping. He has lost some weight I noticed but purely still has his gut haha. I just want to make sure everything sounds okay or what I should look for. I'm just a little concerned for Being still young and him not shedding it's been almost a month now. Oh yea happy holidays everyone.

Attachments

• 1514567922843910310269.jpg
    1514567922843910310269.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 143

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Babies don't typically brumate. His fat pads look like they are sunken in. What is he eating and what are his lights like?

I would take him in for a vet visit just to make sure that there is nothing wrong.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
While they dont usually brumate till after a year old, they do slow down at this time of year and enter a state of semi-brumation. They slow down, stop eating as much and spend a lot of time sleeping. The weight loss is concerning though, so as Patsy says, a vet visit to check for parasites which can mimic brumation is probably in order. Make sure there is always food there for it, even if its not being eaten.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As stated above babies don't brumate and even with the weather babies are in an incredible growth stage and will eat like normal... Now if they are not eating like they are starving all the time a vet check is really needed as they may have parasites that are making them not feel well.. It's needed with any pet to have vet checks yearly, with dragons it's the same to get after they come home and get settled, and as they get bigger and are of age to brumate it is best to have them vetted with fecals before winter and once they wake up and get moving again..

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
As states above, that is not normal behavior for his age. Check your temperatures, male sure your UVB is still good. Also what are you feeding him? When he has had bowel movements how do they look?

Latest posts