• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Beardies Not Eating Much

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Today, I was curious about how many crickets my teachers babies were eating. She said usually 4-8 (each, a day), or even sometimes none. I told her they should be eating WAYYYY more than that. My question is, is if because inadequate temps (because her temps were low)? That's the only reason I could think, of why they aren't eating like crazy. Why else would they not be eating a lot? The reason why I'm saying only temps is because my beardies use to be like that. I had temps that were too cold for them. But once I got the right heating equipment, they got on track. And the lack of eating is causing them not to grow. She says she got her babies at a reptile show in October, and they were tiny (about 5 inches?). Now, they look about 7-8ish inches. I told her I would come on this forum and ask some opinions/suggestions.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow. This teacher has some real learning to do when it comes to caring for these little guys. Thank goodness they have you! Are they housed together? I can't remember from your other posts and am feeling too lazy to look it up. ;D

I've found that it usually is temps for the reason why bearded dragons tend not to eat. Their body temps need to reach a certain level in order for them to digest their food.

Another reason for not eating would be a disease or parasites or impaction. I'd find out when the last time they pooped was. And what the consistancy of the poop was.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah I feel bad that she didn't know this information! Yes they are housed together, and I will tell her that she'll eventually have to separate them. For the temps, I brought my digital therm to school to check the temps in the tank. At first it was at about 30*C, then we moved some stuff around, made the basking spot higher and lowering the bulb. After that, the temp raised to 38*C. In that case, I told her she'll need to buy a higher wattage bulb. Because like, she doesn't know the wattage of the current basking bulb. As for pooping, they have been pooping. When I set up her tank yesterday, I saw one of them poop, and it was nice and solid. And today I saw some poop in the tank too. ;D So, once all these issues are taken care of, I will see how the babies are doing.

:)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like they are on the right track to getting better. Could the food thing be that she is only putting that amount of crickets in there and not adding any if they want more?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm not sure about how she does it every time. But when I cleaned their tank, I found crickets, tried to feed them to the dragons, but they had no interest in it.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She may want to consider proteins other than crickets. Some dragons just don't like them. She can try phoenix worms, dubia roaches, or silk worms.

Latest posts