• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Beardie was sick but improving, now I seen a worm

Maybrsm

Bearded Dragon Egg
We got our baby beardie about 3 weeks ago. The store told us he was about 4 months old. We figured out quickly that that was most likely not true because he only is about 5 to 6 inches long. For about a week, the most he ate was 3 small crickets in one day but most days one or two. Since he was little we thought maybe this was normal until I stated to read forums more. Then after a week we had to change the room his terrarium was in. He started to act weird and scratching at the glass and being very scared acting. The lighting in the room was different so we thought he was just seeing his reflection so we got a background and that didn't seem to help. He wasn't eating but maybe one cricket a day and a small amount of kale. Then one morning we woke up and he looked nearly dead. I gave him a long bath and kind of rubbed his belly and massaged his body and it seemed to revive a little. He would not open his eyes and would not move around the cage. So we read a bunch of forums to see what to do and started giving him pedialyte and water baths and dropping a couple drops of saline on his eyes. Also started to give him some baby food as suggested. he would lick very minimal but did respond a little to it. We did that for several days and he seemed to begin to improve. I was able to get him to take 3 small crickets from me when I was getting him to eat baby food after 3 days. He did have some normal small type poops over the last several days, but a couple were kind of on the clear side then the white. None of them were very large at all. Then I found a post that talked about carnivore care and so I ordered it and started him on that yesterday evening. He did responded well to that and ate just a little bit. Today I was able to get him to eat a little 3 different times. Today was the first day that he actually held his eyes open and looked around we were so excited. So tonight after giving him his bath and feeding him the last time where he ate again pretty good. When I say pretty good he still only has eaten maybe a 1/16th to a 1/8th tsp of carnivore care. It is really hard to say because we don't actually measure it and some is wasted because it drips off. I also bought found a scale to weigh him on and he only weighed .007 KG which is almost nothing compared to what I seen charts say he should weigh. Well tonight after we put him back in his tank after his last feeding and bath he stood up and pooped (sorry but gonna give detail) it squirted out and was very liquid and one small more formed that came out last but still very soft just not liquid. He kept standing there like he may go some more and as we watched a very tiny pin sized worm part started to come out of him. It never really came out much maybe a 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch or so you could see it squirmy little thing. It never came out all the way. Now I am really worried. We thought we were on an up climb with his health, today he was moving around much more around the cage today, he was opening his eyes quite a bit looking around and be very responsive to us when we would pick him up. I have read that most have parasites so should I be really concerned or do you think that since he seems to be getting better it will be ok?

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
he needs a reptile vet and a fecal smear to check for parasites. parasites can kill a baby dragon if left un treated due to the complications the parasite causes. it takes medication to get rid of them.

Latest posts