• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Beardie Strange Reaction!!!!

Cooorndog

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have 27 2 week old Baby Beadie's. The other day I was cleaning there cage one of them locked up like it was seizing! I separated him for caution from the other dragons. After a little while he was up moving around again! Then another one did this for a shorter period of time, both seem to be fine now. Just looking for input on what happend? I did have to chase him for a sec to catch them. Could i have scared them into a defence mechanism? I love our little Beadies and it really scared me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no experience with babies - hopefully someone will chime in

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds like it could be a vitamin or mineral deficiency. There are genetic issues that could also be a possibility but lets rule out the nutritional possibilities first. What are you feeding them? What kind of supplements do you use? What kind of lighting is available?

Cooorndog

Bearded Dragon Egg
feeding them crickets and dubias. 4 ft uvb light, and i give them calcium powder on dubias and crickets. also fresh greens with calcium. pretty regular with calcium but not always. i have a basking light set up, and a night light due to temp of house.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sounds good so far. Sorry for the delayed response. Have they continued doing this or has it stopped happening?

Cooorndog

Bearded Dragon Egg
my daughter said that a different one did it the other day. it doesnt last long prob about 5 min, then they come back around and do fine. it seems to be the leatherback babies that have this problem. i have about half and half. half standard dragons, half leatherback. i spray them down 2 or 3 times a day could it be dehydration? ive been putting a water bowl in with them since my wife said that it could be dehydration. they really dont pay much attention to the bowl in my opinion. it seems to happen when we clean there cage and catch them for moving to alternate container for cleanoing the cage.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It could be dehydration yes, could be a defect in the leatherback gene. They are a much more finicky group, more easily dehydrated and influenced by environmental variables. If it continues, I would definitely see a vet about it. Are you dusting with a general vitamin supplement too or just the calcium?

Latest posts