• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby beardie not eating

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
Should I start force feeding my baby Beardie

We are from New Zealand and we've had out BD for 4 weeks now.
She was 2 months old when we got her. We got her from a pet shop (which we found out they did not feed them regularly)
On the first day we got him , we weighted him - he was 34 grams
In the first week we understood that it was settling period so he was not eating very much
On the second week he was eating every other day - we were relived that he was starting to warm up to us
We put him in a box full of crickets and he would eat 4-5 in one go.
on the 3rd week, he stopped eating totally - we waited for 4 days and he would not eat anything at all.

Every time i try and feed him, he would run away the other way of the tank
He's got no stress marks at all
He looks happy running around the tank every time i watch him through the day.
and most of the time basking under the lights.

We are towards the end of the 4th week and i decided to weigh him - he is now 24grams
Lost almost 30% of his weight!!
9 inches in length

I'm stressing out as he is not eating at all.
He does not look sick to me or even a comment from my mate, who has a BD

My set up
1200mm x 600mm x 900mm (LxWxH)
Arcadia 24w 14% t5 24" UVB (500mm away from the basking area)
ReptileOne basking light 150w
100w Carbon filament bulb for night warmth
He has a 10 inch water pool inside

35-40C (95-104F) basking area
24C (75F) in the cools side of the tank
maintained at 44% humidity.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Should I start force feeding my baby Beardie

We are from New Zealand and we've had out BD for 4 weeks now.
She was 2 months old when we got her. We got her from a pet shop (which we found out they did not feed them regularly)
On the first day we got him , we weighted him - he was 34 grams
In the first week we understood that it was settling period so he was not eating very much
On the second week he was eating every other day - we were relived that he was starting to warm up to us
We put him in a box full of crickets and he would eat 4-5 in one go.
on the 3rd week, he stopped eating totally - we waited for 4 days and he would not eat anything at all.

Every time i try and feed him, he would run away the other way of the tank
He's got no stress marks at all
He looks happy running around the tank every time i watch him through the day.
and most of the time basking under the lights.

We are towards the end of the 4th week and i decided to weigh him - he is now 24grams
Lost almost 30% of his weight!!
9 inches in length

I'm stressing out as he is not eating at all.
He does not look sick to me or even a comment from my mate, who has a BD

My set up
1200mm x 600mm x 900mm (LxWxH)
Arcadia 24w 14% t5 24" UVB (500mm away from the basking area)
ReptileOne basking light 150w
100w Carbon filament bulb for night warmth
He has a 10 inch water pool inside

35-40C (95-104F) basking area
24C (75F) in the cools side of the tank
maintained at 44% humidity.
Your tank is a 165 gallon? If so I would cut that tank down in 1/3rds for now- it is way too big for a baby--- it is not good hes not eating at all -- you have a good UVB for a 14% bulb it should be around 17-18 inches in the tank directly above a piece of basking decor -- the basking temp is surface basking temp and I would raise it to 105-110 F? your night time bulb is it colored or have light? If so you dont want something w/ light - a CHE would be better- temps ambient at night should not fall below 65 --- good temps for night are 65-75--- how is the dragon getting water? Is he actually drinking from the bowl? Humidity is good if your using a digital probe hygrometer -- analogs are usually off -- we need to get the dragon eating hes not going to survive long being so young and no weight--- He should be eating 20-25 crickets in one feeding dusted w/ calcium D3 lightly coated on the insects--- salads offered in the morning and afternoon feeding another 20-25 crickets - I would cut the tank size down and order some BSFL or calci worms or phoenix worms they are all the same --- feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder -- drop them in his salad bowl in front of him to get his attention -- also I would switch to dubia roaches if you can better feeder and not as stinky as crickets --

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your tank is a 165 gallon? If so I would cut that tank down in 1/3rds for now- it is way too big for a baby--- it is not good hes not eating at all -- you have a good UVB for a 14% bulb it should be around 17-18 inches in the tank directly above a piece of basking decor -- the basking temp is surface basking temp and I would raise it to 105-110 F? your night time bulb is it colored or have light? If so you dont want something w/ light - a CHE would be better- temps ambient at night should not fall below 65 --- good temps for night are 65-75--- how is the dragon getting water? Is he actually drinking from the bowl? Humidity is good if your using a digital probe hygrometer -- analogs are usually off -- we need to get the dragon eating hes not going to survive long being so young and no weight--- He should be eating 20-25 crickets in one feeding dusted w/ calcium D3 lightly coated on the insects--- salads offered in the morning and afternoon feeding another 20-25 crickets - I would cut the tank size down and order some BSFL or calci worms or phoenix worms they are all the same --- feed as many as you want they are a great staple feeder -- drop them in his salad bowl in front of him to get his attention -- also I would switch to dubia roaches if you can better feeder and not as stinky as crick

We do not have access to live dubia in NZ
We have tried salads and mix of live meal worms - No luck
I will try BSFL - hopefully this would work.

If all fails should i FORCE FEED him?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We do not have access to live dubia in NZ
We have tried salads and mix of live meal worms - No luck
I will try BSFL - hopefully this would work.

If all fails should i FORCE FEED him?
You might haft to please No meal worms - they have a exoskeleton on them that's harsh on their stomachs- use the bsfl -- w/ your surface basking temps and uvb on par he should eat- at least something even a little is better than nothing- there may be something going on here we can't see- get him into a smaller enclosure for now-- either dividing the tank you have or put him into a 20 gallon or 50 something that's easier to take care of him

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
You might haft to please No meal worms - they have a exoskeleton on them that's harsh on their stomachs- use the bsfl -- w/ your surface basking temps and uvb on par he should eat- at least something even a little is better than nothing- there may be something going on here we can't see- get him into a smaller enclosure for now-- either dividing the tank you have or put him into a 20 gallon or 50 something that's easier to take care of him
We've only got live cricket at the moment. Would that suffice?
The grubs we will order and will not arrive Til next week.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We've only got live cricket at the moment. Would that suffice?
The grubs we will order and will not arrive Til next week.
Get the bsfl when you can- the crickets are good you can disable some pull their back legs off put them in his salad bowl- see if that will get him to the bowl- but you need to get him eating as soon as possible-- you can feed both - can you get some small super worms or small horn worms what about silk worms?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Get the bsfl when you can- the crickets are good you can disable some pull their back legs off put them in his salad bowl- see if that will get him to the bowl- but you need to get him eating as soon as possible-- you can feed both - can you get some small super worms or small horn worms what about silk worms?
Update on the dragon please

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
So.. We got some BsFL from a nearby community thru Facebook page. He didn't even look at it - walked away from the bowl. ‍♂️
I tried that cricket trick.. Nope..
So this morning, at around 10am. I'll get some dandelions and chop it up.

It's stressing me out that he has not eaten. So I'll have to force feed him.
It's day 5 of no food.
He's lost another gram

So plan is:
Try dandelion with the BSFL
If it fails, I'll go buy some syringe
I'll mix up Repashy and bit of Vitamed
Then will feed him with it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So.. We got some BsFL from a nearby community thru Facebook page. He didn't even look at it - walked away from the bowl. ‍♂️
I tried that cricket trick.. Nope..
So this morning, at around 10am. I'll get some dandelions and chop it up.

It's stressing me out that he has not eaten. So I'll have to force feed him.
It's day 5 of no food.
He's lost another gram

So plan is:
Try dandelion with the BSFL
If it fails, I'll go buy some syringe
I'll mix up Repashy and bit of Vitamed
Then will feed him with it.
You can also try some reptaboost- appetite enhancer- post a pic of him and his tank please

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
IMG_1143.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
Tried the salad this morning. Nothing..
I've done it. I force fed him.. 3 crickets. Should I give him more?
I feel awful. Ugh..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tried the salad this morning. Nothing..
I've done it. I force fed him.. 3 crickets. Should I give him more?
I feel awful. Ugh..
Ok how high is the uvb from his basking spot? Where are your temp gauges and are you using digital probe thermometers? That stick he's on wont support him as he grows your going to want something w/ width-- I would get the uvb to 17-18 inches directly above the basking decor and your surface basking temps on par- how tall is the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok how high is the uvb from his basking spot? Where are your temp gauges and are you using digital probe thermometers? That stick he's on wont support him as he grows your going to want something w/ width-- I would get the uvb to 17-18 inches directly above the basking decor and your surface basking temps on par- how tall is the tank?
Also how is he getting water?

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
Tank is 900mm tall

His basking area 550mm from the uvb light ( where the long stick is crossing with the smaller one). That's the recommendations on the box.
he likes sitting there all the time.
I have 3 temp probes.
One where the basking area is. Another on the left most side of the tank. And the 3rd is at the bottom right of the tank
1st area is reading 37c (98)
2nd and 3rd is 28c (82f)

Water is the big yellow brownish bowl on the left of the tank.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tank is 900mm tall

His basking area 550mm from the uvb light ( where the long stick is crossing with the smaller one). That's the recommendations on the box.
he likes sitting there all the time.
I have 3 temp probes.
One where the basking area is. Another on the left most side of the tank. And the 3rd is at the bottom right of the tank
1st area is reading 37c (98)
2nd and 3rd is 28c (82f)

Water is the big yellow brownish bowl on the left of the tank.
Most do not drink from a bowl- please drop water on his nose so he can lick - keep dropping till he stops or moves away- drop the uvb to 17-18 inches- 21 is too high- I would get surface basking temps up to 105-110-- please adjust them watch his behavior-

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
Most do not drink from a bowl- please drop water on his nose so he can lick - keep dropping till he stops or moves away- drop the uvb to 17-18 inches- 21 is too high- I would get surface basking temps up to 105-110-- please adjust them watch his behavior-
I'll start doing that too.
After eating he went straight under the light and sat there.
A bit of stress lines but disappeared after a few.minutes.
Currently at 43c (111f)
Ill update you tomorrow.
If he doesn't eat I'll do it all over again.

BTW after feeding it 3 crickets. After 20mins I gave him 1.5ml of mixed repashy.

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
Follow up question:
When you say surface temperature, the area he is laying on should be on 100-110f too?
I mean, should I put a flat rock there and the light should warm it up to 100F?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Follow up question:
When you say surface temperature, the area he is laying on should be on 100-110f too?
I mean, should I put a flat rock there and the light should warm it up to 100F?
Surface basking temp is directly under the light where he would sit to bask - sometimes if its too hot under it they will sit off to the side yes put something flat under the light get a temp and see what he does

Bloody_max

Bearded Dragon Egg
Update:
So it's day 5 now. I've been force feeding him daily.
He's gained 3g since (good thing or bad? Not sure?)
I try and offer him food before forcing him to eat.
I'm alternating between repashy grub pie and live crickets (squash the head then feed it to him) he chews it.

His poop has been good. It's moist and formed, although some of it are long! Lol
Today though my wife told me his poop was very wet and watery.

Any alternatives on food? What else should I give him?
I've been adding a pinch of vitamins and calcium on the Repashy and crickets daily.

NB:
We are worried that we have to force feed him all his life.
What else should we do to promote self eating.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Update:
So it's day 5 now. I've been force feeding him daily.
He's gained 3g since (good thing or bad? Not sure?)
I try and offer him food before forcing him to eat.
I'm alternating between repashy grub pie and live crickets (squash the head then feed it to him) he chews it.

His poop has been good. It's moist and formed, although some of it are long! Lol
Today though my wife told me his poop was very wet and watery.

Any alternatives on food? What else should I give him?
I've been adding a pinch of vitamins and calcium on the Repashy and crickets daily.

NB:
We are worried that we have to force feed him all his life.
What else should we do to promote self eating.
Time for a fecal test- get a poop sample NO ENEMAS-- take it in to the vet testing for parasites - too many parasites will cause real runny stools and smell horrible- get the poop results and in the meantime can you get dubias roaches?

Latest posts