• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Beardie not eating/eye problem

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am writing on behalf of my daughter's new lizard. We have had him for about a month now. He settled in well and was eating crickets and greens fine. Over the past couple of weeks, we noticed one eye was always closed. He can open it, but it usually stays closed and he seems to have a hard time keeping it open for any extended period. He has also recently stopped eating his crickets. He seems to be eating some of his greens and we bought some juvie pellets that he ate a couple of, but other than that, nothing. We got his tank set up secondhand and it already had 2 bulbs. We realized his basking temp was way too low, so we got a new bulb for that and now it's around 110. We also got a reptisun UVB tube light and installed that, because the other one was some weird purple bulb and since we didn't buy it, I wasn't sure if it was enough for him. I am wondering if his issues were related to the heat/UVB lighting issues and if they will resolve after a few days of having the new stuff installed? We have been using a reptile saline for his eye as well. We are new to this, so we are trying to troubleshoot everything and get him happy and healthy!

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's a reptisun T 5. We have it laying across the top of the screen on the tank. It's a 14 inch in a 20 gallon tank. We are going to be getting a 55 gallon for him soon, since I know he is going to need one. I am just concerned bc I feel like he's looking too skinny. I can take him to an exotic vet, but I also have 3 kids and our state is on lockdown, so that is going to be really hard to do as well. I just want to make sure we are doing everything for the little guy, because he has grown on me!

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
We have it sitting across the length of the tank on top of the screen. I have seen about mounting them so that they are under the screen, but I wasn't sure how to do that. I plan on buying a larger one when we upgrade the tank.

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, good. It's on top of the screen now. He is eating some veggies and we've seen him drinking, but no crickets at all for a few days. We've looked around for roaches or very small worms, but nobody nearby has any in stock right now.

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks so much! I will look into all of that! We got him right before the world shut down, so it has been tough trying to figure it all out!

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just wanted to check and see if everything lighting wise seems ok. Right now we are in a 20 gallon tank, 14" Reptisun T5 HO on top of the mesh, Reptisun 50 watt basking bulb with UVA. Basking side is about 105 and cool side is about 85. We are planning to upgrade to a 55 gallon tank and we will be getting a longer T5 at that time to accommodate a bigger tank. I am just wondering if the lighting is all right, at what point I should seek a vet if he is still not eating at all? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpeg
    IMG_1802.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 57

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can also look for this in your petstores as well
Repashy Superfoods Grub Pie Gel Premix Reptile & Amphibian Food, 3-oz bot
You will need to get a clamp on the basking light and clamp to the side of the tank w/ screen off or leave screen half on tank and place the basing light on it that way - w/ the UVB width wise on tank and close to the basking lamp

Think this is better until I get a clamp for the light? I measured and it is 9 inches from the UVB to the top of that basking spot with it set up like this. He is still not eating. We are giving him greens (he's liked kale, collard greens, and recently mustard greens) as well as yellow squash, sweet potato, occasionally some carrot, and occasionally some bell pepper. He was chasing and eating crickets fine, now won't eat them. We bought the calciworms, but he hasn't eaten one of those. He will drink water though. We have taken him and and dropped water and he will drink it right out of a spoon. We are dusting the crickets as well. He hasn't pooped in a couple of days, but he also hasn't eaten in a couple of days. He does seem to be peeing though, because we are cleaning it up daily.

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok will do. They were out of roaches, but they were getting a shipment. I think someone in my town actually has colonies, so I am going to try to find out. I'll get that probe right away to see if I need to change anything there. I really appreciate it!

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is the eye. The other is fine. He does open this eye, just for short periods of time. It almost seems like the top lid doesn’t want to open all the way?

Attachments

• 8214DE49-C752-4085-8C50-524D93FB3B2D.jpeg
    8214DE49-C752-4085-8C50-524D93FB3B2D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Looks like shed- take a soft toothbrush and gently brush it w/ some warm water- see if that loosens it up

You know, he did start to shed right after we brought him home and this started shortly after that. Maybe it just didn’t loosen up like it should? There is still no discharge or crustiness and I’m rinsing with saline.

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just wanted to update to see if there was anything I am missing for our little guy. Rubbing with a super soft toothbrush on his eye with warm water. It is still closed, but I think I am noticing that he is opening it easier more often than he was. UVB light is good and 9 inches from his basking rock. Got a probe thermometer and have his basking heat between 100-110 pretty regularly. Little guy is still not eating anything at all and doesn't seem to be drinking, so I have started syringe feeding him. He will drink fairly well in a warm bath, too. Trying to make sure he gets his protein and vitamins in and I have a scale so I am able to keep an eye on his weight, too. After syringe feedings he did have urate and a little poop, so I am guessing that means I was somewhat successful! I am trying my best to nurse this little guy to health! He still enjoys running around when we bring him out to feed him and seems to like exploring. He likes to sit in my shirt against my skin and will close his little eyes when I pet him. I am very much hoping I can get his weight up and reverse any issues!

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Still offering crickets and calciworms with his salad. Couldn't find local dubias so I am going to order them. I made a slurry based on a lot of things I looked at online. It has crickets and worms, his greens, some sweet potato, squash, his calcium and vitamins. He is at least standing now in his basking spot with his little eyes closed. Before he would just lay there all day. He is at least moving around to different areas, so that seems better. I don't leave the crickets in for too long, but I do leave the salad in there, because when he was eating, he would usually eat that throughout the day.

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am wondering what an ideal weight might be for our guy? I am not sure how old he was when we got him, but we have had him for 4 weeks now and he was going through a shed when we got him, so I don't know his exact age. He is 5 grams now. We are getting roaches today, but he is still not even interested in his salad, crickets or calciworms. He basks all day and still isn't really active in his tank at all. Eye is looking a lot better though! I am going to continue to offer him food several times a day, but I am just not sure what an ideal weight would be for him, because I don't want to stress him out with syringe feedings, which he is not a big fan of.

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here are a few different pics to see him. Since I have been syringe feeding him, he has had a couple of poops. I am also trying to make sure he is hydrated by putting drops of water on his nose, which he will lick. He just pays not a bit of attention to any food. When he first came he would eat from our hands, chase them, but then he stopped. I am so stumped, too! I check on him a million times a day at this point!

Attachments

• 9E1B9F6D-A294-4529-B5F6-E7BC67F49227.jpeg
    9E1B9F6D-A294-4529-B5F6-E7BC67F49227.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • A6D0F8BE-B5A1-47D7-A295-A197EB56168F.jpeg
    A6D0F8BE-B5A1-47D7-A295-A197EB56168F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 0230F0E9-BA30-4EC7-B427-B9140223925A.jpeg
    0230F0E9-BA30-4EC7-B427-B9140223925A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30

KomodoDragonsRock

Bearded Dragon Egg
My daughter picked him out from PetSmart. I am just not sure about him either, but at this point I am very invested! There is an exotic animal vet about an hour from us in the city. I will just have to find a way to get there without the kids and do it safely, because we are in a pretty high area in our state for the virus, so I was hoping I could fix him up at home without the need to do that.

Michele Schulte

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am definitely not an expert but I'd he getting his calium. We had a similar problem with our beardie and now he is doing great.

Wung Wady

Bearded Dragon Egg
We bought a wire cage that can easily be decorated. Our dragon loves it. They range in prices but here are a few things:

1)MAKE SURE THE ENCLOSURE HAS SMALL SQUARES.

THE DRAGON WILL GET STUCK OR GET OUT WHEN YOU DONT WANT.

2) The best prices and selections we found we on line. Check multiple sites. We have also found that ordering different things online from our local pet stores and then choosing to pick them up at the store has been way cheaper. They usually price match their online stuff when you go into the store. At times I have found at least 50 to 75% difference in price especially when it comes to the cages or enclosures that you choose. We have also found that ordering different things online from our local pet stores and then choosing to pick them up at the store has been way cheaper. They usually price match their online stuff when you go into the store. At times I have found at least 50 to 75% difference in price especially when it comes to the cages or enclosures that you choose.

3) They love looking out the window.

4) She loves her $3 blow up pool we got from amazon.

5) We also use other items for our dragon that is usually used for smaller animals (kittens, gerbils, ferrets, etc)

6) Calcium and lighting are very important but it is also important give them a cooler place to go in their enclosure if they want.

7) Giving a BATH (water only) 2X week VERY IMPORTANT. we use an unused toothbrush labeled for her use only. Our dragon likes going poo in the warm bath water which helps keep her things clean. When cleaning her items we use a 50-50 bleach water mix. No scent or other chemicals can be used as it can kill your Dragon. Not even for the bleach. Just regular bleach.

8) KEEPING THE ENCLOSURE CLEAN EVERY DAY FROM THE POO AND DEAD BUGS IS VERY IMPORTANT as the poo can contain salmonella which can make your dragon sick and YOUR FAMILY VERY SICK.

9) Our dragon likes to go for car rides and go out to Home Depot and things like that. It is not good to take the dragon if you were going to go grocery shopping because of the salmonella issue and it can cause issues with other people.

10) we also use different vitamins regularly for our Dragon because I can’t get gout. We get the vitamins that are pure and natural from bug – DE – LITE. The lady is really nice and explains anything and everything. Her name is Tracy.

I am sure I have forgotten a few things but hope this helps folks.
Just a few pics of our dragon.
Tina

Attachments

• D6BEC3CC-8904-4212-8762-31FFB1D433C1.jpeg
    D6BEC3CC-8904-4212-8762-31FFB1D433C1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 8422EFEC-69EC-46C7-BD96-2C681F2A6E74.jpeg
    8422EFEC-69EC-46C7-BD96-2C681F2A6E74.jpeg
    748.1 KB · Views: 27
  • ABA06818-4AA7-48FE-A984-96D800A52F4E.jpeg
    ABA06818-4AA7-48FE-A984-96D800A52F4E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 26
  • F797439A-A991-442B-8453-F91A3E190BF8.jpeg
    F797439A-A991-442B-8453-F91A3E190BF8.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 7CC2C591-50E1-4DA1-AEC7-C60F427B6AD6.jpeg
    7CC2C591-50E1-4DA1-AEC7-C60F427B6AD6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • 33B2F382-BE24-4FA7-887D-B6CFA239DBD6.png
    33B2F382-BE24-4FA7-887D-B6CFA239DBD6.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 9FC1DDA0-C233-427E-83C6-4BF8693630AF.png
    9FC1DDA0-C233-427E-83C6-4BF8693630AF.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 10

Misty Ramsey

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Just wanted to update to see if there was anything I am missing for our little guy. Rubbing with a super soft toothbrush on his eye with warm water. It is still closed, but I think I am noticing that he is opening it easier more often than he was. UVB light is good and 9 inches from his basking rock. Got a probe thermometer and have his basking heat between 100-110 pretty regularly. Little guy is still not eating anything at all and doesn't seem to be drinking, so I have started syringe feeding him. He will drink fairly well in a warm bath, too. Trying to make sure he gets his protein and vitamins in and I have a scale so I am able to keep an eye on his weight, too. After syringe feedings he did have urate and a little poop, so I am guessing that means I was somewhat successful! I am trying my best to nurse this little guy to health! He still enjoys running around when we bring him out to feed him and seems to like exploring. He likes to sit in my shirt against my skin and will close his little eyes when I pet him. I am very much hoping I can get his weight up and reverse any issues!

First, big props for putting in all the time and effort to care for your little dragon, awesome job ❤️ The drinking seems odd, some dragons do drink water, but most just get it from food and skin absorption. I rescued a baby that was a dehydrated little stick bug when I got him and when I set up his tank, he spent like a straight 30 seconds just drinking from the water dish and then never drank from it again. He had issues from improper breeding and lack of care, he still does in fact as I think the MBD he got ended up becoming neurological I spent the first month I had him feeding a mix of water, cal powder and veggie supplements through syringe while wiggling the horns of small hornworms in between his “lips” after which he would bite onto them and eat them.

Keep syringe feeding, keep an eye on the drinking, if it changes in correlation to adding more water to feedings. And do some basic web searches for possible causes of his lack of appetite, try to narrow it down with the other behaviors he exhibits. And dont lose hope ❤️ My little Tyrion is a mess, I still have to hand feed him everyday because he has vision issues and cant even grab a cricket, wont chase slow moving insects, doesnt even seem to know that greens/fruits are food until I rub them against his nose. He went through a lot but he made it against all odds

Latest posts