• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Bearded Dragon Behavior When Together??

BeardsAreForLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone, im new to this site& with bearded dragons in general (i do have other reptiles so i understand the care, equiptment, etc). A couple of days ago i got a baby dragon and (s)he is wonderful, very friendly and healthy. Two days after i got him/her i got another one and (s)he is not like my other dragon at all. My second dragon is very scared and will not let me handle, (s)he runs every time. Now onto my questions... My first dragon is constantly waving at my other dragon and i'm curious why and if it has anything to do with how frightened my second dragon is? The second dragon never waves back or anything (They are similar in size and im not sure of the sexes). And the first dragon is not aggressive towards the second dragon at all. Any explanation to the waving? and is there any way to help my second dragon from being terrified of humans? Thank you all for taking the time& reading :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Waving is a sign of submissiveness towards the other.. Are you housing them separately or together? It isn't advised to house 2 dragons together as eventually they will fight for prime basking spots, over food resources etc... They are always best separate. As far as the scared dragon it may just take some time getting used to his/her new environment, owner... just give it some time and go slow just have your hand in the tank nothing else then up to being near him then touch but don't pick up and so on.. Some gain trust by hand feeding them...Each dragon will have different personalities like people some are docile and some just wanna run around and you will get some that can be kind of aggressive.

BeardsAreForLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
Waving is a sign of submissiveness towards the other.. Are you housing them separately or together? It isn't advised to house 2 dragons together as eventually they will fight for prime basking spots, over food resources etc... They are always best separate. As far as the scared dragon it may just take some time getting used to his/her new environment, owner... just give it some time and go slow just have your hand in the tank nothing else then up to being near him then touch but don't pick up and so on.. Some gain trust by hand feeding them...Each dragon will have different personalities like people some are docile and some just wanna run around and you will get some that can be kind of aggressive.
They are housed together, the tank is plenty big for the both, i have an ample amount of crickets, and they're both juveniles. I heard of the submission by waving, but it doesn't look like that's the case from what i can tell. My first dragon is very calm and relaxed, while my second dragon is more skiddish and scared of humans. They have been together for two days and i haven't once seen them run from eachother or show any signs of aggresion.

BeardsAreForLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
They are only being housed together until I can determine their sexes and get a new tank (if both are male). I was informed previously that juveniles, male-female, and female-female are OK to be housed together?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temporally they can be together but in time they will show dominance, male/female the male will mate with her continuously to the point of death due to exhaustion. Male/male they will fight for dominance over their territory. Female/female is better but 1 will be dominate in time... They really are better housed alone they are not social creatures that way...

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They aren't social creatures with their own species but they like to be the only one with your attention :)

Does the skittish one sit on top of the calm one in the tank?

BeardsAreForLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
They aren't social creatures with their own species but they like to be the only one with your attention :)

Does the skittish one sit on top of the calm one in the tank?
No, i haven't seen either of them sit on eachother. they share a basking spot side by side.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's only a matter of time before toes, tail get nipped off they might tolerate eachother for now but odds are they will fight. I would rather have 2 in separate tanks and them be happy little dragons then 2 in 1 tank and not know when that day will come and 1 or both get hurt.. They just are not social within their species they come together to mate that's it. Keep an eye on them.

BeardsAreForLizards

Bearded Dragon Egg
It's only a matter of time before toes, tail get nipped off they might tolerate eachother for now but odds are they will fight. I would rather have 2 in separate tanks and them be happy little dragons then 2 in 1 tank and not know when that day will come and 1 or both get hurt.. They just are not social within their species they come together to mate that's it. Keep an eye on them.
okay awesome, new tank soon then. thanks for the help

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your welcome that's what we are all here for, we try hard to help others.. I'm sure your not alone in wanting multiple in 1 enclosure :) I know I would love to have 2 in the same one but I only have space for 1 soo that's that... Sure would make things easier for many that have multiples!
Good luck and I guess happy shopping :)

Latest posts