• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

avoiding parasites

BeardedDragon65

Juvenile Dragon
So, in the reptile collection the last couple months I've had a MASSIVE problem with parasites. I finally got rid of coccidia in squishy, but now the other beardy, Bert, is starting to show sighns. Atleast we'll be able to treat her before 3 months have passed by. next, paul, the tegu has hookworms. How do reptiles even GET hookworms?
Anyway, I was wondering how to avoid this? It SUCKS. I've gone to the vet 15 times 5 times for the tegu and 10 for squishy. So, once I'm finally able to get rid of them, how to I make sure this never, ever, ever, happens again?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Reptiles (as well as us) naturally have a limited number of parasites in their system. Lately I've been reading that a big contributor to them getting out of control is stress. Stress can be from something we don't even realize is a big deal to them like maybe missing a meal or lights not going on or off when they normally do. It could also be a move or moving something in their tank. The key is to keep them on schedule as much as possible. Parasites are also caused from unsanitary conditions. If poop is left in the tank too long or if they are on sand or other loose substrate, that could cause parasites because the bacteria from pooping spreads around.

We just got done treating Dolly for pinworms so I know it's not fun.

BeardedDragon65

Juvenile Dragon
Hmm I'll have to look into it as the lights are not on a timer and I Have no set time for feeding. But the tegu is burrowed underground when he sleeps so I don't think it's as big of a problem for him.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How can you have so many animals and no timer? LOL! I didn't have a timer when I started out and once I did it was like instant freedom. I didn't have to worry about getting up early to turn lights on or being home at a certain time to turn them off. I want to put everything in my house on a timer :)

BeardedDragon65

Juvenile Dragon
BTW is there a way to just set like, my whole room on a timer? Instead of a separate timer for each one? I'm running out of outlets :C.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
BTW is there a way to just set like, my whole room on a timer? Instead of a separate timer for each one? I'm running out of outlets :C.

The Timer I have has 2 slots; but they work basically as an On / Off switch based on the programmed time.

I would put an extension cord into each of the wanted ports (Day/Night/All day) a and plug your room into as needed.

Ensure they have surge protection too. Just to help your bulbs not get surged.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...8jVLfj7MEsA1l6SfBrgHrtECiyTK6OgNo4aArwW8P8HAQ

I used the digital one; not the analogue

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I use the ZooMed analog timers(they also make one for fishtanks that is the same but might be cheaper), they are green and have 4 timed outlets and 4 non timed outlets. I have 2 lights on each tank that needs to be on the timer so I have 2 tanks on one timer and two tanks on another and then one tank has it's own. This way I still have outlets to plug in other stuff like the tv and the modem.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What I've done is I have the timer plugged into a good power strip and the power strip has 5 or 6 slots so whatever is plugged in to the power strip gets the timer. If that makes sense..

BeardedDragon65

Juvenile Dragon
Ok Ive gotten all the parasites out of my collection. Makes me so happy. Still ned to work on the reptiles though. And I came across a post on Tegu Talk That was very helpfull regarding why de-worming isnt an instant cure for reptiles.
" If your tegu had such a heavy parasite load that it was causing this kind of severe weight loss, then guess what is going to happen when you give a good dose of de-worming medication? The parasites are gone and the tegu gets better, right? Sadly, this is what most people think. Here's what happens: say your tegu had a lot of parasitic worms, it got a good dose of de-wormer, and all those parasites die. Now your tegu has a bunch of dead or dying organisms through a lot of its system, rotting and releasing toxins. You DO want to get rid of the parasites (if they're there) but it isn't as simple as take some medicine, instantly better. While undergoing treatment, it is likely the poor tegu is going to be feeling quite bad."
So I've still got some work to get to, but vet visits will be less frequent and they will (hopefully) gradually get better.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yes, you're right. The best way to counteract parasites is simply to find what is stressing the immune system and alleviate that. Get it back up to peak health and its own immune system will take care of the parasites to a large extent. There is even some good evidence that some parasites are symbiotic and beneficial to the lizards

Latest posts