• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aquarium Gravel?!?!?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
A few days ago, my Dance teacher brought in her 2 baby beardies to her classroom. I saw that she had them housed on sand!! Me loving and learning about beardies, it concerned me. So at the end of class, I talked to her about it and the risks. So then she asked for an alternative and I said paper towel will do best. The next day, I see that she changed the substrate to AQUARIUM GRAVEL? I'm thinking "nooooooo!!!!!!!" I remember reading about using aquarium gravel, I can't exactly remember what the bad thing was... Can someone fill me in about the dangers? (Rather than trying to ingest it, if there are other dangers).

I want to tell her that she should do what I told her to do, but I don't want to seem... I don't know the word.. naggy? Know what I mean?

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My first thought is OUCH! I wouldn't want to lay on that and I'm sure beardies with their soft underbellies wouldn't either, besides the ingestion factor like you alreay said. Tell her to get slate tile from Home Depot. It's cheap and easy to clean and doesn't need to be replaced all the time like particulate substrates. Also, with any particulate substrate there is the bacteria factor.

I don't think she'll think you're a nag - just say you're sorry you weren't more clear (even though you were) and make it sound like a misunderstanding.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alright! I will do my best to steer her the right way :) I couldn't just stand by knowing there are risks to these babies!

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
beardie_love said:
Alright! I will do my best to steer her the right way :) I couldn't just stand by knowing there are risks to these babies!

Totally. You did the right thing by speaking up. Hopefully she'll listen ;)

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Alright so I was in Dance today, but I failed to tell her... I still felt like I was going to feel like a nag! BUT ANYWAY, I saw her later in the hallway and she stopped to talk to me. She said, "Melissa, did you see that I changed the sand to rocks?" and I said "Yes, but that's worse for them!" I explained again what would happen and such. And I told her that one time when my little boy was impacted (yes, my little boy was once impacted!!!! :() and I hope she gets it now what the risks are. I gave her other suggestions rather than just paper towel. I told her there was also reptile carpet and even tile. OH, and she even said, "I guess I should have came to you before I decided to use rocks."

Now I feel better. :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great advice! I'm glad she respected your opinions on substrate. Let us know what the substrate becomes!

Latest posts