• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anxious Dragon?

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I am here again with more questions haha! I've gotten to know my dragon quite well at this point, but he's still not full grown. His new enclosure is very large and means the cats are able to see in, and they get curious, but they really don't have any desire to hurt him even when I take him out around them (they really just want the crickets to play with). I've taken him out around them tons of times, and they've looked in for weeks, but it seems like no matter what he has not even started to be less afraid of them. They've never tried to hurt him at all, and when he's out I'm supervising anyways.

He's usually relaxed when I take him out of his enclosure (aside from running about and exploring), but since moving to the big new enclosure he seems constantly petrified the cats are around even if I've shut them out of the room. Obviously I use safety precautions and don't "torture" him with their presence, but is there any chance he'll eventually overcome this fear so I don't have to lock everyone in separate rooms to hangout? He's decent sized, but still less than a year old. Is it normal for young dragons to be more anxious of things, or could this just be his personality? He's the only dragon I've ever had so I'm still learning what to expect. I love him, but I was really hoping for a chill shoulder rider when I got a dragon. I think taking him anywhere he's not used to gets him worried (never aggressive or terrified, but darkened beard and running about a lot more).

I can never explain these things in short paragraphs haha, thanks for reading guys!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am here again with more questions haha! I've gotten to know my dragon quite well at this point, but he's still not full grown. His new enclosure is very large and means the cats are able to see in, and they get curious, but they really don't have any desire to hurt him even when I take him out around them (they really just want the crickets to play with). I've taken him out around them tons of times, and they've looked in for weeks, but it seems like no matter what he has not even started to be less afraid of them. They've never tried to hurt him at all, and when he's out I'm supervising anyways.

He's usually relaxed when I take him out of his enclosure (aside from running about and exploring), but since moving to the big new enclosure he seems constantly petrified the cats are around even if I've shut them out of the room. Obviously I use safety precautions and don't "torture" him with their presence, but is there any chance he'll eventually overcome this fear so I don't have to lock everyone in separate rooms to hangout? He's decent sized, but still less than a year old. Is it normal for young dragons to be more anxious of things, or could this just be his personality? He's the only dragon I've ever had so I'm still learning what to expect. I love him, but I was really hoping for a chill shoulder rider when I got a dragon. I think taking him anywhere he's not used to gets him worried (never aggressive or terrified, but darkened beard and running about a lot more).

I can never explain these things in short paragraphs haha, thanks for reading guys!
Well he may not get used to the cats when outside of his tank as I think he knows while in the tank he's safe and outside of the tank he's "not" in his mind.. It's possible he will get used to them.. both of mine have zero problems with my 3 cats, however when they free run they are in a room that is closed off when they are out. Mainly so I know they are safe from everything while running around. 1 of my cats LOVES strings and well their tails look like string...
Also to your dragon the cats are huge and things like the cats are typically predators and their instincts are VERY strong so really only time will tell.
Also he still may end up being a great shoulder rider in time.. do you use a harness when out and about?? in case he gets frightened? Also I've noticed that my male is WAY more "anxious" outside and more aware.. my female will ride anywhere with me and just stay on my shoulder/chest. So it could be a male thing?

Squish

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey thanks for the reply! When I'm letting him run about I never have the cats in the room! I definitely want him to feel safe. I meant when I take him out just to hangout while I'm playing games or on my computer or even to watch a movie, but if the cats aren't locked away he gets anxious instead of relaxing on my lap. The cats won't bother him if he's with me, in fact they're a little scared of him and steer clear haha. I think he does have the potential to be a good shoulder rider, but I don't want him to be petrified whenever I take him outside. I have practiced letting him ride on my shoulder a bit around my apartment, but haven't taken him places as of yet. I still need to make or buy him a little harness. As soon as I get one I was going to let him explore the grass outside a bit and see how he does, but I do live in the city and don't have my own yard so I'm hoping the city sounds don't scare him to death. I have wondered if it's a male thing. He never gets a black beard or anything, but he definitely darkens a bit and gets spastic in situations where he's uncertain. I don't blame him if the cats make him wary forever as the reasons you stated are logical considering his size, but I've seen lots of dragons that don't seem to have a worry at all and wasn't sure if that's a trainable thing or just based on their personalities.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey thanks for the reply! When I'm letting him run about I never have the cats in the room! I definitely want him to feel safe. I meant when I take him out just to hangout while I'm playing games or on my computer or even to watch a movie, but if the cats aren't locked away he gets anxious instead of relaxing on my lap. The cats won't bother him if he's with me, in fact they're a little scared of him and steer clear haha. I think he does have the potential to be a good shoulder rider, but I don't want him to be petrified whenever I take him outside. I have practiced letting him ride on my shoulder a bit around my apartment, but haven't taken him places as of yet. I still need to make or buy him a little harness. As soon as I get one I was going to let him explore the grass outside a bit and see how he does, but I do live in the city and don't have my own yard so I'm hoping the city sounds don't scare him to death. I have wondered if it's a male thing. He never gets a black beard or anything, but he definitely darkens a bit and gets spastic in situations where he's uncertain. I don't blame him if the cats make him wary forever as the reasons you stated are logical considering his size, but I've seen lots of dragons that don't seem to have a worry at all and wasn't sure if that's a trainable thing or just based on their personalities.
sometimes it just takes time and patience... it's a big world out there.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He might not get used to them. What I did with my dragons from an early age was every time I took them out of their tank or put them back in their tank I brought them by each of the cats and let the cats sniff them for a second and then moved them away. Sounds like that might not be possible with yours though.

Latest posts