• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anurism in Beardies

KriminalDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello
My Bearded dragon, Dinky, had an anurism in his jaw last year. It made a small, hard bump, but otherwise he was fine. The vet said that nothing could be done, and to just make sure he stays happy and healthy. However, the bump started to grow, filling with fluid and he became emaciated. I took him back to the vet (a different one). He said to help him gain some weight so that they could attempt to remove it in a few months. The fluid was not bloody, so it was not bleeding. The bump continued to grow, however he gained weight and was doing pretty good. Then yesterday he suddenly went downhill. His eyes were the most sunken in that I had ever seen in a beardie and it seemed as if he lost a ton of weight overnight. I thought he was dead. I did everything I could possibly do, and what the vet recommend, but unfortunately this morning, he passed away. Once I calmed down, I did a little exploring and took some fluid out and it definitely had blood in it. The tissue inside the mass was chunky and soft and disconnected. The corner of his mouth is red and vieny under the skin. I was wondering if maybe he had another anurism and if anyone has had this experience before. I did everything the vet said to do. I am going back to the vet to talk about this. Dinky was suffering in his last hours, at least now his pain is gone.

IMG_20190102_180009.jpg
IMG_20190102_180314.jpg
IMG_20190102_180022.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Woo I’m not sure what I’m looking at here. The last picture, was that on the side of its face on the beard? Do you have a picture of the dragon before you cut it open? An aneurism is a swelling of an artery, this looks more like it was some sort of cyst or tumor.

I’m so sorry you lost him

KriminalDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks. I thought it was a tumor at first, but both vets said that it is an aneurysm and all the tissue and fluid was trying to protect and calcify the damaged part. X-Rays showed that too. I've seen pictures of other beardies with aneurysms like this. Yes, it was on the lower mandible on the beard. I don't have any recent pictures of that side of his face, sorry. Hopefully a necropsy can determine if it ruptured. I've heard that most beardies don't live through them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It’s just amazing to see. I hope the necropsy gives some answers. I’ve heard the same thing about aneurisms, but I’ve mostly seen them on the back of the head.

KriminalDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah. That's one of the reasons that I thought it was a tumor, cause most are on the back of the head. The arteries that were probably affected were the ones that run along the jaw. However, over read that vets gave encountered them everywhere from the head to legs and even on the hips. I'll probably post to this thread when I get a definite answer from the vet. Have you personally encountered this problem or had friends have this problem?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
No I’ve never personally had this happen or know anyone. I’ve only read stories online.