• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another light question

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I feel like I collect light bulbs! Digging through my collection I found an Exo Terra Daylight basking spot light. Apparently it has a neodymium coating and I've read mixed reviews that it is not good for bearded dragons. I see that a lot of people like the GE reveal flood light but I read that it too has a neodymium coating. So is it bad or not?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Neodynium bulbs simply enhance 'visual' colors, but filters out some white light to do so. In my opinion there is nothing better than a good old 'True' Halogen Flood for heat\light. I use Philips Brand Bulbs.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Lol ! Im in the same boat. I cant seem to get my lighting right . I have 50, 75 and 100w basking bulbs stacked in my closet . Someone on here Mungi I think told me he uses a GE flood light, not the reveal one. But i cant find the one i was looking for in the store. I have a pic of it on one of my posts. Hopefully someone with more experience comes along and helps you out .

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Lol ! Im in the same boat. I cant seem to get my lighting right . I have 50, 75 and 100w basking bulbs stacked in my closet . Someone on here Mungi I think told me he uses a GE flood light, not the reveal one. But i cant find the one i was looking for in the store. I have a pic of it on one of my posts. Hopefully someone with more experience comes along and helps you out .

I liked the Zilla bulb but they are so expensive and they blew out fast. I've been using a Sylvania clear halogen bulb for the past month now. I liked it in the beginning but now I'm second guessing it. Dexter is being very moody and acting weird lately, so of course right away I think it's the bulb.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
I never tried the Zilla brand . Most of the bulbs i have are Zoomed. I cant seem to get the heating right its either to hot or to cool . So frustrating !! Do the halogen floods run hotter that a basking bulb ?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry I meant Zoomed. They don't run hotter, the one I bought I got because it was clear.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
What watt halogen did you get ? what size is your tank ? My girl Ryuu has not been acting right the last week either. Not eating well and she has been dark in color . I just noticed you're from Chicago , so am i :) I wonder if the behavior has anything to do with the changing weather .

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I used a halogen flood that was 75w (1070 lumens), then tried a 75w clear halogen bulb (1050 lumen) that didn't get hot enough, now using a 100 watt clear halogen (1520 lumen) and it gets it just to 110. I honestly can't remember what my problem was with the halogen flood, but I do remember that it didn't make the dome real hot. I may just get the Zoomed again and see if I still like it. Petsmart has bulbs for a lot cheaper than the other stores but I think they are still like $12/13. Yeah, our weather stinks. I also have whites tree frogs and trying to maintain the humidity in their tank with this weather has been a pain.

Dexter isn't really dark in color and she doesn't have any stress marks. She just seems blah. Refusing all fruits/veggies. Not eating as many crickets. She gets fed 2x a day and she used to eat 20+ crickets each time, lately it's 20 at breakfast and maybe 4 at dinner or vise versa. She's not losing weight though, she gained about 4 grams in 3 days so that's good. She will sit on the cooler side of her vine and sleep or just stare at me. When I go to pick her up she will refuse to leave the vine or she will puff her beard out (without turning black). When I do get her off she just wants to cling to me and nuzzle my neck. I put her on the floor tonight and told her to run away and she ran up my arm, so I put her on the couch and she tried to run up my leg! I didn't let her so she jammed her head under a pillow and then wiggled her body up against it and then gave me the stink eye!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry you are right I was only thinking about the type of bulb not the wattage. Apparently my brain doesn't completely function after a long day at work :(

Latest posts