• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another baby refusing food...

Drakkina

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys! New beardie mom here. I've never owned a baby before so everything has been quite a learning experience. Our little guy arrived through FedEx on November 23rd so it's been about 5 weeks and I still cannot get him to eat regularly. He's 3 months old now. This is our setup:

4x2x2 melamine enclosure.
Wood on the cool side, a stack of sandstone/slate rocks for his basking area.
Temps are 82-84F cool side, 104-108 on his basking rock, taken with an IR temp gun and digital probe thermometer.
UVB is an Arcadia T5 12% in a Sunblaster fixture.

Some days he will eat 2-3 roaches, no greens. Most days he refuses to eat anything at all. He was eating dubia out of a bowl at the breeder and did eat out of it the first day or two, but won't anymore. When he did jump in the bowl, he'd eat one or two roaches and then jump out and run away. He has since stopped jumping in the bowl at all. I count the roaches before I put them in the viv and at the end of the day, they're all still there.

I tried a separate feeding enclosure once and he hated it. Tried letting them loose in the enclosure but he ignores them. Tried BSFL instead of dubia and he wouldn't touch them, so they all ended up dying. Tried hand feeding and he would take maybe one but then no more. He's also recently started attacking his basking lamp, jumping at it and then falling on the viv floor. Not sure how to stop that or why he's doing it... He won't drink water from a syringe or in his bath either. He just seems awful stressed and unhappy and I can't seem to ease it. I do have two dogs who spend their day in the adjacent room. Could they be stressing him out that much? Or is this still relocation stress? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The enclosure is a bit large for a baby. It's possible that he's stressed out in such a large environment. It could also be a temp issue. When i moved my juvenile boy into his 4x2 the temps were a tad low and he got really edgy. What are his basking, hot side and cool side temps?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Drakkina

Bearded Dragon Egg
So enclosure size is a possibility then. Temps are good. Basking, 104-108F; warm side 88-90F; cool side 82-84F.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Temps are spot on, it probably is the large space. You could try to clutter it up with decor so it seems less open and frightening. Sometimes just covering the front so they can't see out is enough to help them calm down and adjust to their new environment.

Downsizing would be a possibility, but babies grow quickly, so it would only be a couple months before he'd be ready for it again. I'd try limiting outside visual stimuli and see if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The enclosure could be too big, you could add more hiding places for him to hide.

I would also get a fecal test done to rule out parasites as the reason of his loss of appetite.

Latest posts