• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Amons losing his buddy

MyGirlLeviathan

Hatchling Dragon
For the week or so I've had anon id been keeping him in the same enclosure as my sisters dragon and tomorrow Draco will be going back to his own enclosure, mainly due to size and feeding problems with the live bugs, and Amon will be left where he is. They will be having bathes and such together to keep them socialized but they shall no longer be tank mates.

Oh he's gonna get lonely I know it but Amons submissive personality is receeding and has slowly been asserting dominance over Draco, even going as far as to eat all of the crickets unless someone pulls him back. As much as I hate pulling the two buddies apart it is in Dracos best intrest.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's best to separate them now before something bad happens. He'll be fine, you'll just have to play with him more :)

MyGirlLeviathan

Hatchling Dragon
I know its for the best its just the first time hell have a tank all to himself, ima split em after their baths today, hopefully Dracos enclosure is warmed up enough to place him in.

MyGirlLeviathan

Hatchling Dragon
Due to my sisters idiocy I've had to place Draco back with Amon since Dracos tank was much to cold. The poor thing was clinging to his basking spot since the rest of the tank was 75 and possibly dropping. I will now have to resort to closely monitering the two until my sister can get either a proper heating pad or a dual uvb and heat light for dracos enclosure. Good thing they don't fight over their greens or canned bugs like they do the crickets.

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
If one is showing dominance it is only going to get worse. They need to be separated. What wattage bulb are you using just get a higher wattage to raise the temp,of the tank heating pads are not used for bearded dragons they do not get heat through their bellies.

MyGirlLeviathan

Hatchling Dragon
That's my sisters set up, I think she's using a 100 but I can't really tell. She said she was using the heating pad to keep his water warm so "I wont have to bathe Draco anymore" though honestly I'm not sure what's wrong with her set up, last month it had been working just fine, the overall temp a nice 80 with it going to the 90s in his basking spot. Ill try to make her get a higher wattage bulb pr buy one myself if I have to so thanks. I'd really hate for poor little Draco to starve because of this.

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
That's my sisters set up, I think she's using a 100 but I can't really tell. She said she was using the heating pad to keep his water warm so "I wont have to bathe Draco anymore" though honestly I'm not sure what's wrong with her set up, last month it had been working just fine, the overall temp a nice 80 with it going to the 90s in his basking spot. Ill try to make her get a higher wattage bulb pr buy one myself if I have to so thanks. I'd really hate for poor little Draco to starve because of this.
Tell she it is not good to have a water dish in the enclosure it will raise the humidity I bet warm water would raise it even more. I am surprised even with 100 the temp is not high enough. How is she taking the temp?

MyGirlLeviathan

Hatchling Dragon
One of those velvet humidify and temp thermometers that come with the starter kits at petsmart. The 75 is the basking spot since that's where the thermometer is set up.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Those dont work well at all. Stop her from using the heating pad unless she wants to cook her dragon. She probably needs a desert bulb as it sounds like she is using a temperate bulb (not as hot).

Penelopesmom

Hatchling Dragon
One of those velvet humidify and temp thermometers that come with the starter kits at petsmart. The 75 is the basking spot since that's where the thermometer is set up.
At Walmart they sell temperature/ humidity gauges they are wired with probes on the end they are like !10 put it on the basking spot or a temp gun is even better. There is no way a 100 watt is only getting the spot to 75 I only use a 65 watt and I get my spot to 110. The temp needs to be monitored where the basking spot is not just the ambient temp around it and definitely get rid of that heating pad. Is there UVB?

MyGirlLeviathan

Hatchling Dragon
Yes she has a UVB though it was only gotten last month by my mother after Draco went two months without one. She threw away the packaging for the heatbulb so I'm not entirely sure. And before you ask, we checked the uvb isn't coiled. We learned what they looked like from a nice beardy owner at PETsMART. Though the wattage might be a problem for how deep her enclosure is, 18inches deep, as well as the fact that her room gets no ventilation so its always 65 down there. Also we did get rid of the heating pad.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Then you need another heat bulb. Hang it high enough to maintain the property heat on the cool side.
Take a picture of her heat bulb please.

MyGirlLeviathan

Hatchling Dragon
Its a bad picture I know but its taken from the edge of the light fixture. It kind of looks like what I use in my 23 gallon enclosure. An exoterra 75watt

Attachments

• WP_20140731_001.jpg
    WP_20140731_001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts