• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Am I being paranoid or should i genuinely be concerned?

BrennonBread

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my dragon on June 12 2021 and it is currently June 16. Over the last few days I’ve been detailing his behaviour and I’m beginning to worry. I was provided with an inaccurate set up and I’m trying to remedy that now. The first day we had him he ate a good amount of crickets and seemed fairly able to hunt on his own. Although, following that he has only been eating 1-5 crickets and some greens each day. I’ve been attempting to get him to hunt but he doesn’t seem like he wants, or is even capable of that anymore. He is often missing crickets and not doing well. I have tried to remove as many stressors as I can but again, my parents aren’t allowing me the necessary tools to provide this baby with the proper care. I’ve noticed he’s been puffing his beard following a ‘yawn’ like motion and keeping his head held up while basking and that could be because he has a URI, however this is also paired with him rubbing his face against things and that’s indicative of a shed. He has full control over back legs and is defecating normally in normal amounts so impaction doesn’t seem to be the cause. I can see no swelling around his limbs and his eyes do not appear to be sunken in although he is closing his eyes often (I assume this is because of the distance of the UVB bulb {I wanted a strip light but once again, my parents ignored me despite my research} so I am getting a stand to increase the distance so it does not hurt his eyes) his basking spot is a little colder (around 90 and not the recommended 100) which I am also working on remedying. Plus he’s gaping so he’s definitely warm (although this could also be mouth breathing which tracks back to a URI) he is making no wheezes or coughs and there is no mucus or pus around his eyes, nose, or mouth. He spends most of his days napping and basking although he will get the occasional zoomies and move down his log and sometimes go explore his tank (40 gallon) he is attentive, he will react to movement and sound and he will follow things with his eyes so blindness isn’t a problem. I’ve been hydrating him enough and he doesn’t appear to be dehydrated (no saliva tackiness or wrinkled skin) after observing him more his normal breathing pace is consistent unless he’s stressed. Exhale: the amount of time it takes to say “one Mississippi” Inhale: the amount of time it takes to say “two Mississippi”. The breathing seems to be deep and not shallow. He moves in his basking spot and will go up and down his driftwood depending if he’s warm or not. He’s also glass surfing but that’s normal for a new stressed baby. Unlike other babies he doesn’t go into his hide and stays on his basking log. (He is extremely attached to his log, when I remove it to search for excess feeders he gets angry at me for taking it and will not eat in his tank without it) and circling back in this literal ramble of a description, he seems to have an appetite but just doesn’t bother hunting. I clean his tank after every poop and after every feeding and he’s eaten out of my hand before so I’m not lead to believe that I’m the cause of the stress as he trusts me enough to eat from me. I would just really like a second opinion.

Attachments

• C806CB3D-2245-45EA-BB94-066256ADB725.jpeg
    C806CB3D-2245-45EA-BB94-066256ADB725.jpeg
    980.9 KB · Views: 13
  • EAA9A70C-444D-4EB4-BFA7-F1A12FDC11C4.jpeg
    EAA9A70C-444D-4EB4-BFA7-F1A12FDC11C4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 3AB3F5F8-07AA-41ED-9603-71E44E5E54C7.jpeg
    3AB3F5F8-07AA-41ED-9603-71E44E5E54C7.jpeg
    882.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DFE26063-CB55-4A48-9B45-6DE9A271111D.jpeg
    DFE26063-CB55-4A48-9B45-6DE9A271111D.jpeg
    901.8 KB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got my dragon on June 12 2021 and it is currently June 16. Over the last few days I’ve been detailing his behaviour and I’m beginning to worry. I was provided with an inaccurate set up and I’m trying to remedy that now. The first day we had him he ate a good amount of crickets and seemed fairly able to hunt on his own. Although, following that he has only been eating 1-5 crickets and some greens each day. I’ve been attempting to get him to hunt but he doesn’t seem like he wants, or is even capable of that anymore. He is often missing crickets and not doing well. I have tried to remove as many stressors as I can but again, my parents aren’t allowing me the necessary tools to provide this baby with the proper care. I’ve noticed he’s been puffing his beard following a ‘yawn’ like motion and keeping his head held up while basking and that could be because he has a URI, however this is also paired with him rubbing his face against things and that’s indicative of a shed. He has full control over back legs and is defecating normally in normal amounts so impaction doesn’t seem to be the cause. I can see no swelling around his limbs and his eyes do not appear to be sunken in although he is closing his eyes often (I assume this is because of the distance of the UVB bulb {I wanted a strip light but once again, my parents ignored me despite my research} so I am getting a stand to increase the distance so it does not hurt his eyes) his basking spot is a little colder (around 90 and not the recommended 100) which I am also working on remedying. Plus he’s gaping so he’s definitely warm (although this could also be mouth breathing which tracks back to a URI) he is making no wheezes or coughs and there is no mucus or pus around his eyes, nose, or mouth. He spends most of his days napping and basking although he will get the occasional zoomies and move down his log and sometimes go explore his tank (40 gallon) he is attentive, he will react to movement and sound and he will follow things with his eyes so blindness isn’t a problem. I’ve been hydrating him enough and he doesn’t appear to be dehydrated (no saliva tackiness or wrinkled skin) after observing him more his normal breathing pace is consistent unless he’s stressed. Exhale: the amount of time it takes to say “one Mississippi” Inhale: the amount of time it takes to say “two Mississippi”. The breathing seems to be deep and not shallow. He moves in his basking spot and will go up and down his driftwood depending if he’s warm or not. He’s also glass surfing but that’s normal for a new stressed baby. Unlike other babies he doesn’t go into his hide and stays on his basking log. (He is extremely attached to his log, when I remove it to search for excess feeders he gets angry at me for taking it and will not eat in his tank without it) and circling back in this literal ramble of a description, he seems to have an appetite but just doesn’t bother hunting. I clean his tank after every poop and after every feeding and he’s eaten out of my hand before so I’m not lead to believe that I’m the cause of the stress as he trusts me enough to eat from me. I would just really like a second opinion.
He looks good but you need to increase the basking temps to 105-110 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- and your UVB needs to be a long tube fixture NO COILS --- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues ----- please invest in a 24" Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia Pro T 5 this fixture needs a 12% bulb ---- the Zoo Med will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it use it as a back up the distance and placement is different from the 10.0 bulb--- you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for your 40 + gallon tank ------ proper UVB and good basking temps will keep him eating so you want to fix this issue right away-- he will go thru relocation stress and his eating will be off but you want the proper lighting in the tank so he acclimates and adjust to his surroundings --- if this is off you will have issues -- let me know what UVB you have now please-- those things I posted about are crucial for the over all health and behavior of the dragon ---

BrennonBread

Bearded Dragon Egg
He looks good but you need to increase the basking temps to 105-110 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- and your UVB needs to be a long tube fixture NO COILS --- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues ----- please invest in a 24" Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia Pro T 5 this fixture needs a 12% bulb ---- the Zoo Med will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it use it as a back up the distance and placement is different from the 10.0 bulb--- you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for your 40 + gallon tank ------ proper UVB and good basking temps will keep him eating so you want to fix this issue right away-- he will go thru relocation stress and his eating will be off but you want the proper lighting in the tank so he acclimates and adjust to his surroundings --- if this is off you will have issues -- let me know what UVB you have now please-- those things I posted about are crucial for the over all health and behavior of the dragon ---

my parents got me a starter kit which I didn’t want to get and it came with a BULB. Like a regular UVB bulb and I’m BEGGING them to get a strip light for a proper lighting situation. It’s not a coil I know that much. However, my parents already spent so much just buying this lizard and I know they’re going to be so reluctant to buy this for my baby...if you have any cheap but effective recommendations I would very much like them

BrennonBread

Bearded Dragon Egg
And the temperature at his basking spot was at 93 so it’s heating up slowly...

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my parents got me a starter kit which I didn’t want to get and it came with a BULB. Like a regular UVB bulb and I’m BEGGING them to get a strip light for a proper lighting situation. It’s not a coil I know that much. However, my parents already spent so much just buying this lizard and I know they’re going to be so reluctant to buy this for my baby...if you have any cheap but effective recommendations I would very much like them
Show me what your using please (UVB) then I can suggest what you need to get that would be the cheapest for you-- your using a bright white basking bulb correct -- you need to invest in a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate -- I will post links to stuff you need

BrennonBread

Bearded Dragon Egg
Show me what your using please (UVB) then I can suggest what you need to get that would be the cheapest for you-- your using a bright white basking bulb correct -- you need to invest in a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate -- I will post links to stuff you need
I did a bit more research on my own and started digging and the bulb I have is definitely too bright for him so I’m going to increase the distance and get a reptisun tube light for his tank. He’s also become much more active today. He’s no longer just staying on his basking log, he’s moving around and exploring! I believe most of it is relocation stress and the fact I’m using improper lighting! I’m fixing that problem as soon as possible!! Thank you for everything!

BrennonBread

Bearded Dragon Egg
[UPDATE] Junos doing fine!

I went out and got him a reptisun Tube light and a fixture for it and he’s been so much more active and adventurous! He’s exploring more of his tank and hunting better now! It was definitely the UVB set up that I had! He’s doing just fine now!

Attachments

• FCE14A46-1F86-43B0-B5BA-753EFFD025F7.jpeg
    FCE14A46-1F86-43B0-B5BA-753EFFD025F7.jpeg
    938.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 05B2CF9C-54C3-42CB-B3D2-48804F8126F1.jpeg
    05B2CF9C-54C3-42CB-B3D2-48804F8126F1.jpeg
    714.4 KB · Views: 6

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
[UPDATE] Junos doing fine!

I went out and got him a reptisun Tube light and a fixture for it and he’s been so much more active and adventurous! He’s exploring more of his tank and hunting better now! It was definitely the UVB set up that I had! He’s doing just fine now!
What Reptisun bulb did you get? Those bulbs have certain placement and distance requirements--

Latest posts