• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Always on the move

Slcburm

Bearded Dragon Egg
So when I get him out he usually hangs out on my shirt and then in a few minutes BOOM..off to the races lol

He is very active and seems to hate to go back into his cage..is this normal? Can I handle him too much?

Oh..dang his nails are sharp..how can I get him to relax enough to trim them?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Of course many BDs will dislike going back into their enclosure, they are a caged animal with a natural yearning to be free. As far as handling too much, the answer is 'Yes'. Extended & Frequent time spent out of the enclosure robs them of the required time for heat & UVB exposure. We go to a lot of effort to get their setups optimal, does not do much good if they are not in them for the majority of the recommended 12-14 hrs under the UVB & heat. These are not like many common furry pets & should not be treated as such.

Imho: Nails should only be trimmed when & if they are too long, causing the toes to turn sideways. They are sharp for a reason, to help in climbing & hanging safely in all those weird uncomfortable looking positions that they so often do. Having a rock or 2 in the enclosure helps, like an emery board to keep them somewhat in check.

thatguy715

Hatchling Dragon
i see a lot of people have tiles in there habitats, and if it is ok to use tiles what type of tiles would be best used, i think i have seen some people say that they use slate tiles.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i see a lot of people have tiles in there habitats, and if it is ok to use tiles what type of tiles would be best used, i think i have seen some people say that they use slate tiles.
I don't think it matters as long as they're textured.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Aleena other than true slate would give better traction & be more helpful in keeping the claws in check, keeping them wore down, but not as easy to clean.

Latest posts