• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Alternative to wax worm???

Iluvdragons

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a 4 month old bearded dragon that was housed with another of same age, following advice she now has a viv of her own

My problem is she is way smaller than the other and I want to fatten her up a little, what can I give her other than wax worms as I know they can be addictive.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
fattening and addictive go hand in hand. lol she needs to be on crickets as a staple but you can try small hornworms, silkworms and my guys as juvies absolutely LOVED butterworms.

lisa foster

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I personally do not feed crickets to ant of my beardies they like silk worms, hornworms, butterworms , supers and dubias. Geta colony of dubias oing they breed like crazy and there set up is very simple and my beardies love them.

Missy

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was also going to suggest the super worms. No more than 3 or 4 though, at a feeding. They are decently up there in fat content. But it will indeed HELP!

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My healthy baby loves phoenix worms. They are supposed to have the highest calcium with a low fat content. They have a soft shell kinda like a waxworm, but not as squishy. Both my babies love the waxworms but I do try to limit those cause of their high fat content. I see nobody mentioned phoenix worms. Is that just a brand name of another worm y'all mentioned. Griffin would probably eat a hundred of them if I'd let him. He gets 2-3 dozen crix and a bowl of veggies every day. He's a piggy.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My healthy baby loves phoenix worms. They are supposed to have the highest calcium with a low fat content. They have a soft shell kinda like a waxworm, but not as squishy. Both my babies love the waxworms but I do try to limit those cause of their high fat content. I see nobody mentioned phoenix worms. Is that just a brand name of another worm y'all mentioned. Griffin would probably eat a hundred of them if I'd let him. He gets 2-3 dozen crix and a bowl of veggies every day. He's a piggy.

Yes it's a brand name for black soldier fly larva .repti worms ,calci worms,

peachiest

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
They definitely aren't the cheapest feeder but I got 100 for $6 (US). The same website I ordered from had butter worms 10/$2.25. So comparatively I think they are better when you consider their nutrition content. My first beardie wanted nothing to do with them. He loves super worms though. My littlest guy who was sick will only touch waxworms, as far as worms are concerned. So it definitely seems like they all have their preferences.

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i didnt know that . i have heard of phoenix worms a company used to do them here in the UK but i bought them once and Oscar turned his nose up. They were quite expensive. I saw them at a reptile show many yrs ago. We dont have reptile shows her no more as far as i know. Ill try and look up online about them here see what prices are now. Cant seem to see any in the UK will have a good look 2mora But found this contnet. The bold ( last) is the phoenix worm content

Over here they are listed as Calci Worms. I'm getting 100 for £3.99 from my supplier which is about the same as I have been paying for the 100 Wax worms to help feed Dusty up a bit after her injury. Going to try them with these as I think that they will be more benificial for them than the waxies, I can just go back to giving them as treats.

Latest posts