• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

All I want for Christmas...

Didgeridoo

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm looking to get a bearded dragon for Christmas so all that's on my Christmas list (besides the dragon itself) is equipment. I have some questions though. My plan was to ask for a 20 gallon tank for my (approx) 1 1/2 year old corn snake and a larger heating pad and give the 10 gallon she currently is in to my baby bearded dragon. Would that be alright for the time being as a baby? I have a basking light and it gets to 100 degrees when the thermometer is close to it, so would a branch close the the basking light suffice for heat? I also have a small uvb in a desk lamp. Would that suffice for the time being or is it too narrow? And do dragons need heating pads for night even if the house stays at 65 degrees?

Also, how many crickets is normal to buy at a time? I live close to a pet store so a trip a few times a week would be fine. I'm also trying to consider where I should buy my bearded dragon. My options are Jack's pets and aquairum (where I got my snake), petsmart, and pet supplies "plus". The ones in petsmart looked rather small though and read that it was best to start with them 6 inches or larger. Is that something to consider? I may have another option from a breeder if he still breeds. There's always craigslist but I'm afraid I might be handed one that is sick or doesn't feed well. I don't know...

I have tons of questions but this is all I can think of now.

Oh and Didgeridoo is what I would name him/her. For those that don't know, that's an Australian instrument. I thought it was a cute name :)

Thanks for reading!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi and welcome to our forum! It is refreshing that you are doing your homework before getting your beardie. Hope it all works out for you.

Let me see if I can answer your questions -
10 gallon tank. That is too small for a bearded dragon. They need the space to grow properly. The best size for an adult is at a minimum 4 feet, by 2 feet by 18 inche to 2 feet tall. We had Bernie in a 75 gallon reptile viv.

Temp - A baby beardie should have temps between 105 and 110F. The basking light should be no closer than 6 inches from the highest point.

UV - I think your desk lamp is not the correct UV light. Beardies need a high level of UV to thrive in captivity. I highly recommend the ReptiSun 10.0 tube UV light. It is the best tube on the market for beardies. Here's a link to what I am talking about:
ReptiSun 10.0

Heat pad - no. Viv temps can drop to 65F at night. If it drops below that, you can try a heat emitter. I've had to use one in cold winter months. Here's a link to that:
Heat Emitter

Crickets - note the crickets should be no larger than the space between your beardie's eyes. A baby can eat anywhere from 25-100 crickets a day.

Buy - that is up to you. Many would argue that a store like PetSmart has too many beardies and they are over-bread. A breeder would be more reputable.

Hope this helps. Keep asking away, it's how you learn.

Also, here's a link to our basic caresheet. Give it a read and let us know if you have anymore questions
Bearded Dragon Care

Didgeridoo

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
So a 10 gallon tank would be too small even for a short period of time? I'm trying to find a 55 gallon off of craigslist so that I don't have to pay big pet store prices. I've seen ads for 55 gallon fish aquariums but are the dimensions too small on those? My boyfriend says he'll build me one, but I don't see that happening anytime soon :p

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
55 gallon is not wide enough.
if you are looking for tanks on craigslist look for a 40Gallon breeder tank or any tank that is at least 18 inches deep and 3ft long

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Stay away from the aquariums. they need the length and width of a reptile viv. Since you don't have your beardie, I would get the setup done first and avoid the temp solution. This way your bearded dragon will thrive when you bring him home.

Another thing to keep in mind is that bearded dragons tend to go through relocation stress when they have a new environment. So, if you have a temp solution, you could experience relocation stress twice. I like to take the side of caution and avoid things if I can.

Craig's List is a great way to get a viv that isn't pet store price. Building one is even cheaper. There are a few posts on the forum for instructions and other sites when building a viv. Maybe you can seek those out to get your boyfriend motivated. ;D

lickwidfox

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
definitely get your viv setup first. you wont regret it. so many things can go wrong if you don't take the time too get the right setup. welcome =)

Didgeridoo

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks all for the good advice and warm welcomes! I think I found a good deal on a 40 gallon breeder as well as all the stuff that comes with it. Hopefully that pulls through. I've been thinking about getting a bearded dragon from a breeder. Someone at work hooked me up with a name and I emailed her and waiting to hear back. There's always with all-ohio reptile show though :)

Couple of questions: This person who gave me the hook up said that bearded dragons do better in pairs (if both female or male and female). Is there any validity to this statement? I also was offered a....fluorescent blue bearded dragon??? That sounded too wild. Has anyone here heard of such a thing? Sounds cool, but too unbelievable. Maybe there was a mix up in understandings hehe.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There is a lot of varying info out there.

For starters, bearded dragons are not social creatures and do not do well when housed together. Here's an article about what can happen -
Housing Multiple Bearded Dragons

You do not need a blue bulb. The best UV on the market if the ReptiSun 10.0 tube. Here's what I am talking about:
ReptiSun 10.0

Beardies need a high intake of UV light. A lot of the bulbs on the market do not offer the amount needed.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beware of dragons that are unnatural colors (such as flourescent blue) it is a trick that some shittier breeders use. They put the animals on a deeply colored blue calci sand. This sand stains the beardies skin. They will remain that color until they shed.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You know the old adage.. if it looks to good to be true... then most likely it is ;)
Janie

Latest posts