• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Aggressive then relaxed???

tokentheblackkid

Bearded Dragon Egg
Let me start by saying this, I have have my beardie for 3 months now (5 months old). Everytime I put my hand in his tank he will run away and won't even let me touch him and he will open his mouth. He is not shedding at all but today he did all the above plus hissed. BUT as soon as I pick him up and he is in my hand he's okay. I've let him eat out of my hand multiple times, I talk to him handle him almost everyday for 15 minutes plus atleast a few times a day. His tank is more than big enough for him so what could be the issue? Is it just a thing that happens with every one?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

BrookeE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Could you give some more information about your beardies set up? A picture would be great. Temperatures, UVB bulb, substrate, what does he eat, how much, do you gut load and dust your insects, has he had regular bowel movements, do you give him baths? Information like this would really help give clues to what could be going on. Many times behavior is directly related to environment.

tokentheblackkid

Bearded Dragon Egg
Could you give some more information about your beardies set up? A picture would be great. Temperatures, UVB bulb, substrate, what does he eat, how much, do you gut load and dust your insects, has he had regular bowel movements, do you give him baths? Information like this would really help give clues to what could be going on. Many times behavior is directly related to environment.
cfcace3a8c6646eac91ccffb46236d04.jpg

This is his habitat. Excuse the poop in the bole, he just did that. He poops regularly. Mixed diet(majority meal worms and crickets, and about 20% greens). Basking area is always at 100 to 110 degrees, cool side is always at 80 to 85 degrees. Bark chips is his substrate he seem to love them because he burrows into them. UVB bulb is a 18 inch tube bulb only had it since I've had him. I do not dust his food yes due to just wanting to make sure he is used to eating everything I give him but I will start. Feed him at least twice a day. 6 to 7 meal worms at a time or just as many crickets as he can eat in 10 to 15 minutes. I do everything I should as normal.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Okay so first of all to answer your question. Be careful when you are reaching into his tank. Don't make fast movements, go slow and keep your hands where he can see them. Fast movements will make him think you are trying to eat him.

Few things about your tank. Loose substrate is always questionable but where everyone can agree, bark is VERY bad for bearded dragons. Even the smallest piece of bark that gets eaten can tear up the intestines when being passed. Meal worms have a very hard skeleton and make them hard to digest. It would be best to switch to super worms. They look the same, except they shell is softer. I would also add some other bugs to the mix like dubia, hornworms, BSFL or silk worms. Variety is the key. Make sure you are offering healthy greens like dandelion leaves, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, endive, arugula. Your basking temp should be more consistent. 107-110 is recommended for younger dragons. Also, it looks like your UVB bulb is on the outside of the glass??? The problem with this is that, glass blocks UVB so none of the UVB is getting to your beardie. Mesh blocks about 35% of UVB but glass blocks 100%.

I see you use Tap talk. If you go to the general information forum at the top of the list is some great links to read on how to care and feed for bearded dragons.

tokentheblackkid

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay so first of all to answer your question. Be careful when you are reaching into his tank. Don't make fast movements, go slow and keep your hands where he can see them. Fast movements will make him think you are trying to eat him.

Few things about your tank. Loose substrate is always questionable but where everyone can agree, bark is VERY bad for bearded dragons. Even the smallest piece of bark that gets eaten can tear up the intestines when being passed. Meal worms have a very hard skeleton and make them hard to digest. It would be best to switch to super worms. They look the same, except they shell is softer. I would also add some other bugs to the mix like dubia, hornworms, BSFL or silk worms. Variety is the key. Make sure you are offering healthy greens like dandelion leaves, mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, endive, arugula. Your basking temp should be more consistent. 107-110 is recommended for younger dragons. Also, it looks like your UVB bulb is on the outside of the glass??? The problem with this is that, glass blocks UVB so none of the UVB is getting to your beardie. Mesh blocks about 35% of UVB but glass blocks 100%.

I see you use Tap talk. If you go to the general information forum at the top of the list is some great links to read on how to care and feed for bearded dragons.
His UVB is mounted inside using velcro strips, I have been giving him mustard, collard and turnip greens, his insect diet was a bit on the hard side for me due to that rule of thumb for the distance between his eyes. I will definitely lose the bark and go with something different. Thanks for all that info. You guys are kinda saving my butt... [emoji106]

Resa

Bearded Dragon Egg
His UVB is mounted inside using velcro strips, I have been giving him mustard, collard and turnip greens, his insect diet was a bit on the hard side for me due to that rule of thumb for the distance between his eyes. I will definitely lose the bark and go with something different. Thanks for all that info. You guys are kinda saving my butt... [emoji106]

At around that same age group my beardie did the same thing. Being a first time reptile owner, I did what every overly paranoid pet parent does; I rushed him to the vet. Lol. He said that juveniles (as long as they are healthy) sometimes start behaving this way for no apparent reason. He said it cold be the sexual hormones starting to develop in the process of sexual maturity, it could have been the time of year bc even tho babies don't usually brumate they could have some grumpy days or days where they will become lethargic for a day or two. He also said shedding could cause this (but as you already said, yours wasn't).

So as long as your beardie is healthy the vet told me to continue to handle him, be calm and slow but confident, and work on hand feeding so he learns that hands are good.

Oh, and for a substrate, I personally use reptile carpet for the ease of clean up and I put in a dig box with alfalfa pellets in there. No harm if beardies ingest them, they turn to mush immediately upon wetting so they can digest them easily, and usually beardies do not like the taste so they won't eat them on purpose. I hope this helps!

Latest posts