• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

advice on taming a nervous beardie

Josh Baumiller

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got a new beardie, Lola, from a friend. He couldn't take care of her anymore, and was kind of scared of her, lol. She seems to be about a year old and in good health. But she puffs up and hisses at me whenever i get close to her viv. If i try and touch her she runs all over the place hissing. I have another beardie, Stockton, who i can pet and carry around and he has never hissed at me. I figure if i just be calm and persistent with Lola she will eventually calm down. Any advice?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First, give it a week to 10 days to acclimate to it's new environment before you attempt to handle it too much, keep handling to a minimum, to maintenance only. This will help to make the transition as stress free as possible for the new BD. It may also be a good idea to keep them out of sight of each other. Talk to her when you approach the enclosure, some have had success with putting a T-Shirt or something that you have worn & carries your scent in the enclosure for the first while, so it can become accustomed to your scent. Other than that, you have the right idea, patience & persistence will generally turn them around. Although most BDs are known for their ability to tolerate handling well, there are a few that just will not ever take well to it.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
After the acclimation period, you can always try hand feeding the greens as well.

Josh Baumiller

Bearded Dragon Egg
My new beardie seems to be calming down a bit. I have had her for about 5 days now and pet her and talk to her. I have hand fed her twice now also. I let my old beardie out to play with him, and his beard turned black and he started running around like crazy (I have never seen him do this before). He ran over to her viv and started head bobbing and trying to get to her, so i put him back. Not sure if he wanted to play or fight.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like he's trying to assert dominance. Could be for mating or fighting, you never know. Best to keep the two apart.

Latest posts