• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice for bearded dragon with MBD

Topaz22

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just got back from the Vet today with Topaz and it turns out he has MBD. He was dumped on me by my cousin (my cousin thought he was going to die) So I've had him for a while now. I've been using Calcium +D3 powder and a UVB bulb but i think my bulb must have gone bad or somthing. Does MBD take a while to show? He no longer has the use of his back legs so my vet and I are trying get his front end strong enough for him to still be mobile even if he's dragging his back end (I know it sounds horrid and it really is). I'm lining his cage with fleece (easy to clean) to prevent sores on his back end that will be dragged around. I just bought a brand new 10.0 UVB bulb and I recieved pure Calcium to give him orally. I have no experience with bearded dragons prior to getting him since he was an unexpected arival. I have more expierience with BTS than beardies. I would appreicate any tips and ideas about how to maintain and better his qaulity of life.

-Thanks much

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't have experience with MBD in bearded dragons. Smart move getting an new UVB bulb. Is it a long tube or a coil bulb? I would try feeding bugs that are high in calcium. Silk worms, butter worms, horn worms. I've heard of vets injecting calcium. When was the last time he pooped? Dragging the back end is also a sign of impaction. Do you have a picture of him and your setup?

Topaz22

Bearded Dragon Egg
I bought a new UVB while i was at the vets yesterday, Its a10.0 UVB sun-glow coil lanter 20 watts (by fluckers). I also got the pure calcium from My Vet to give him orally. Its been a few days but thats because he hasnt been able to catch any food (because his legs are dead due to the nerve damage) so all he has is Repti-boost in his stomach as of yesterday. I feel like if it was impaction my vet would have said something about it. I dont have a picture of his set up because the lighting in my room is sh*t. He was pretty much emptied out when we took him to the vet. Honestly i wish is was impacxtion that way he could get the use of his back legs back but that isnt the case sadly.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good for you !! My favourite commercial : When you can't do it all - do what you can.

Latest posts