• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Abused dragon hates everyone and everything.

DanniTheExotic

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, so about a month ago I posted up about an abused dragon that I got.
I left her for two weeks to try get used to everything. After that two weeks I've been trying to handle her and get her more relaxed, but she's still puffing up, scratching and hissing at me.
I've tried everything from trying to hand feed her, wrapping her up in a towel, covering her eyes, coming at her from the side slowly, so she can see my hands.
She's about 2 and a half to 3 years old, and been passed about loads and abused. Is there any hope of me ever being able to handle her? Or am I just wasting my time in trying and upsetting her even more?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sometimes it just takes time, some more than others, some will never settle down. A few years of abuse, may not be overcome in a few months. It is impossible to know, but I would say that it is much too soon to give up on earning it's trust. My youngest, never abused, kept right from 6 weeks old, would not take to handling for the first 10 months of it's life, but then became quite amiable. There are the odd BDs that will just never tolerate handling, whether abused or not. Possibly just leaving her be, other than for necessary tank maintenance, feeding & general husbandry for 6 months may be necessary. Once again it is impossible to tell. Although BDs are well known for their calm demeanor & ability to 'Tolerate' handling well, most would be just as well be left alone. Much to the contrary, of the common belief that BDs 'Love' to be handled, these are not Cats or Dogs, never will be, and should not be treated as such.

Good Luck

DanniTheExotic

Hatchling Dragon
Sometimes it just takes time, some more than others, some will never settle down. A few years of abuse, may not be overcome in a few months. It is impossible to know, but I would say that it is much too soon to give up on earning it's trust. My youngest, never abused, kept right from 6 weeks old, would not take to handling for the first 10 months of it's life, but then became quite amiable. There are the odd BDs that will just never tolerate handling, whether abused or not. Possibly just leaving her be, other than for necessary tank maintenance, feeding & general husbandry for 6 months may be necessary. Once again it is impossible to tell. Although BDs are well known for their calm demeanor & ability to 'Tolerate' handling well, most would be just as well be left alone. Much to the contrary, of the common belief that BDs 'Love' to be handled, these are not Cats or Dogs, never will be, and should not be treated as such.

Good Luck

Do you think I should keep attempting it for a while longer then? If she's tired she'll sometimes let me handle her for a short period, before deciding that she wants to go back in her viv or jumps off me and makes a run for it.
I would like to be able to handle her like my other one, but am I making it worse by stressing her when trying to handle her?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Handling for short periods of time at bed time has been known to work at times in gaining trust & helping to acclimate to handling, so you may have found a method to work. Other than that, personally, I would leave it alone until it is not as balky when you approach it. Unfortunately, we don't always get what we would like to do, only time will tell. It may well be a long process, months before it comes around, if it ever does. But I would not give up hope of it eventually coming around for some time yet.

Good Luck

DanniTheExotic

Hatchling Dragon
Handling for short periods of time at bed time has been known to work at times in gaining trust & helping to acclimate to handling, so you may have found a method to work. Other than that, personally, I would leave it alone until it is not as balky when you approach it. Unfortunately, we don't always get what we would like to do, only time will tell. It may well be a long process, months before it comes around, if it ever does. But I would not give up hope of it eventually coming around for some time yet.

Good Luck

Thanks for the help. I've been trying to handle her more at night times. I googled some ways on how to get her to be more calmer by opening the doors and putting a worm or locust outside to come out of her own accord and wait for her to come up to me. I've also been wearing long sleeves so she doesn't scratch me and holding her back to my chest, which seems to calm her down loads. I'm not harming anything by trying these am I?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is hard to say, you are there & can see her reactions, we aren't. Just don't push her too hard, too soon. Time is the best bet. "Nice & easy, see - That's how you do it", think I stole that from the Burglar/Robber on an old Flintstones episode :p .

Latest posts